Love And Searching

"Stay here Ed." Roy said softly, petting his head gently. The neko nodded, and sat in his spot. Roy stood up, and walked towards the door. When he opened the door, it revealed a man, with long, blackish, greenish hair. It resembled palm tree leaves.

"Are you Roy Mustang?" The man asked.

"Depends on who's asking." He replied. The man gave a fake smile.

"I'm here looking for a runaway slave. And it's been reported that the slave is held here." He explained. Roy looked at him. He had a feeling that the man he was talking to, was Ed's first owner. Envy. And, Roy had decided to do whatever it took, to protect Ed from him.

"Well, I think you have that information wrong....I live here alone." Roy replied. Envy looked at him.

"Hmmm. Mustang, you've heard of the fugitive slave law correct?" He asked. Roy nodded.

"It...sounds familiar..." He replied.

"Here, I'll explain. If any slaveholder is to find a fugitive slave, they have three choices. Either, return the runaway slave, severely punish the slave, or, you can pay a fine to the original slaveholder for the slave." Envy explained.

"Of course, all three options can be combined." He added. Roy slowly nodded. The law had been passed about two years ago, when people had been escaping. The law was passed, in order to prevent anyone escaping to freedom.

"Would it be alright if I took a look around?" The man asked. Roy looked at him.

"Isn't that invasion of privacy? Hey, wait!" Roy was cut off as Envy pushed past him. Luckily, he had shut the door to the backyard before he answered the door, so Ed hopefully wouldn't be so easily found. Envy stepped into the house, and began walking around. But, his ideas went wrong, when he heard a door open. Roy turned to look at the direction of the sound, and horror filled his eyes.

Edward had been peacefully sitting in the grass, trying to catch bugs with his hands, like a cat would. He heard the door open, and thought it was Roy. When the sound of footsteps approached him, he smiled and said,

"Tha-That was qu-quick." He turned to look at Roy, when he felt himself freeze. He couldn't move. Trembles were sent through his body, and his tail went stiff as well. Envy, his first Master, smiled wickedly at him.

"You little runt." He growled, pulling his hand back, and using his harsh strength, to harshly slap the blonde. Ed let out a cry out pain, as he was sent towards the ground, dirt getting into this golden hair. Ed's cheek was red from the slap, and the blonde was pretty sure it was bruised.

Envy stared at him, and stepped on his hand. The one that was burned. He put pressure on the burn, making Ed cry out again. Roy ran towards the two.

"Edward!" He exclaimed. He shoved Envy off of the boy, and knelt to the ground, pulling Ed close to him. He glared at Envy.

"Stay away from him." He growled, putting a hand to Ed's head gently, as the blonde whimpered. "Touch him, and I won't hesitate to end you." Envy gritted his teeth.

"You people are so annoying. I'll be back!" He exclaimed, walking out of the gate to the backyard. Roy picked Ed up, and walked back inside.

"It'll be okay."