Chapter 39- Waiting

A/N: I am so sorry that I have not updated in a while. I have been super busy with school and band.

(Dylan's POV)

We've been in the waiting room for seven hours waiting for news on Emma's surgery.

We've had very few updates on how she is, and it's killing me not knowing what's going on.

I can't help but feel as if this is my fault. I should have been their. I should have been their to protect her. It's my job to protect her.

I know one thing is for sure, Jack will not get away with this. There are multiple witnesses who saw him do what he did. If he doesn't get locked up, then I'm going to kill him myself. Tiffany won't get away with this either. She thinks she can walk away from this without a scratch on her, but she is so wrong.

I get up from my chair and start to pace again.

I hate how uneasy hospitals make me feel. I feel like hospitals are just a place to go to die. They bring nothing but pain. At least, that's what I've experienced.

I rub my hands through my hair out of worry.

Caroline walks up to me and hands me a cup of coffee.

"Thank you." I say taking a sip from the hot beverage.

"She'll be okay Dylan. She's really strong; she can get through this." Caroline says while rubbing my back.

I take another sip of my coffee then say, "I know she's strong, but I can't help but think the worst. What if I could have done something more? Could I have prevented this? What if the surgery doesn't go well? What if she doesn't wake up from the surgery? What if..." I can't even finish the sentence.

"Dylan, we can't keep asking ourselves the 'what ifs.' There is nothing we can do by asking questions like 'what if.' We need to be dealing with here and now, and hoping that everything will be okay. Maybe we could of all prevented this, but maybe not. Some things happen that are out of our control. We can't blame ourselves. We need to be there for Emma, when she gets out of surgery. She's stronger than we give her credit for." Caroline says before walking away.

I know she has a point, but I just can't stop blaming myself for what happened. I am her boyfriend, I should be protecting her.

Just then the doctor walks out with a blank expression on his face.

Everyone who was sitting meets him half way and we all look at him with hopeful and worried expressions, while bombarding him with questions.
"Is she okay?" "How was the surgery" "Is she awake?" "Where is she?" "What-" the doctor cut off our questions.

He looks at Emma's mom and talks calmly, "she is out of surgery and everything went smoothly. She should be awake soon. I can only let immediate family in the ICU though."

I looked towards Emma's mother with pleading eyes, begging her to let me go into the room with her.

She nodded her head and told the doctor that I was Emma's cousin.

I looked toward the rest of the group and told them that I would tell her that they loved her and that I'll see them soon.

They nodded and said they would stay right their.

We followed the doctor to Emma's room. As soon as he opened the door I rushed to Emma's side.

She had bruises all over her face and her shoulder was wrapped up in some gauze pads and was wrapped carefully. She looked so peaceful laying there and I could stare at her all day and night. Even if she is bruised everywhere, she is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

I took a seat on the hospital chair next to her bed and decided that I would not leave her side.

I held her hand opposite of the injured arm and I couldn't stop the tears from flowing from my eyes.

The woman I loved is hurt because of me. This is all my fault. It feels like a few years ago all over again.

Her mom comes up behind me and rubs my back in sympathy. She too, is crying.

We just sit there in silence. The only sound being the beeping monitor and the sniffles from me and her mom.

After a while of crying, her mom ended up on the opposite side of the bed sleeping peacefully by her daughter's side.

I was wide awake. I know I wouldn't be able to sleep until I know for a fact that Emma is awake and okay. So I stayed in my chair with my red eyes from crying and with Emma's hand clasped in mine. I then decided that I'm never leaving her side again, because I love her.

****Author Note****
I am so sorry I have not updated lately. I've been super busy. But I finally did it! I know it's short, but when I get out of school for summer I'll start writing more often and have longer chapters. Well I hope you enjoyed!
Don't forget to:
VOTE!!!!
COMMENT!!!!