four | just kiss me once for luck

an: Meagan doesn't exist in this because of how complicated it already is.

This gives a few hints.

Also I added a relating to the chapter quote to every chapter.
and yes finally a trench song don't pitch fork me for not doing trench songs the last few chapters ffs

I'm posting chapters quicker, but the story itself is a slow burn so don't expect them to be together in the chapter updates coming up this week. Holding off on another update after this one until Wednesday. (

A couple of songs that are coming up
- Fourth Of July (chapter five)
- The Struggle Has A Name (chapter six)
- The Sentimentalist (chapter 7a song)
- Stranger Things Have Happened (chapter 7b song)

This has a lot of media so this one's archive of our own update will be delayed for at least three weeks.

--
Pete is dreaming for half of the chapter . Josh is not in this chapter.
--
{Pete's POV} July 3rd, 2016 - dream sequence

"What happened?" I rubbed my forehead, rolling over to look out the window. I could see the beach but I couldn't recognize where it was. I couldn't recognize the phone on the table or anything about it.

I gazed at the wedding band on my finger. It looked familiar.... I rolled over to check the date on my phone. Please don't let this be like those timetravel fa fics. My phone wasn't starting.

I cursed and got up, going to the closet. I didn't recognize the other clothes. Or the view outside my window. But the container of blonde hair dye. The hair shampoo for blondes. Josh.

But all of the stuff felt dusty and untouched. Confused, I heard a wailing noise from the other room. That sounds like Saint, the kid I had with a one night stand after a party in LA in 2014. I didn't know his mom.

I walked to the room, seeing Saint standing on the crib. He wanted food, if all things. "Cmon, Sainty." I picked him up and carried him to the kitchen.

That's when I recognized the unfamiliar black dog.

"If I ever get a dog which won't ever happen, it'll be a rescue." Josh had mentioned years ago.

I leaned down to check her collar - her collar was pink - and I heard Bowie come running downstairs, obviously coming to knock me down. Her name was Bennie... Rescue dog.i saw her VSPCA paper sitting on the table.

Saint toddled over and Bennie licked his face, and I noticed something. When I saw the phone on the dresser, it looked smashed. I opened it and my heart started to race and feel shattered.

This was definitely a dream as Josh was still alive, but my fear worsened, because I saw photos that I don't remember taking.

In the dream world, I had married Josh and Ashlee never existed.

---back to reality -- (still Pete)

I woke up, grabbing at the sheets of the bed and putting my head in my hands when my mood started to sink and tears poured down my face, eyes reaching for hope in the mirror. I decided that maybe today I deserved a good freak out, a good one for "hey Pete you lost Josh ten years ago and you can't get him back!"

These were really desperate measures now. Just like the Marianas Trench song I keep hearing on the radio...

I thought for a second, and thought about it all. I thought about everything. I decided to do some research, thinking the voice sounded familiar to me in the song. Something about the tone.

I looked up the band. It seemed like a catchy song, I even got it stuck on my head, but it was like the song had followed me across the borders.

I looked at the photos of the band. Why did they look so familiar? Why did the singer look like.... It couldn't be.

I didn't know Josh's last name

I didn't know Josh's last name. I'd forgotten it over the years and I only remembered he had a unique middle name, so I did some further digging, bringing up the Wikipedia page for the band.

 I'd forgotten it over the years and I only remembered he had a unique middle name, so I did some further digging, bringing up the Wikipedia page for the band

It was definitely the Josh I had known because I remember that album being mentioned. Had I hurt Josh? I didn't know if he wrote any songs about me, or if any of the countless songs they'd done were about me.

I decided to look up what Josh currently looked like. I needed to know if I was gonna start searching for him, and I knew for a fact he didn't have black hair anymore --- the full photos I'd seen of the band, he was blonde and blue haired. I wondered if he'd recognize me.

Wow, he'd really changed

Wow, he'd really changed. He seemed healthier and happier. A thing I found said he'd quit smoking. Which was good on him, because I'd wanted him to years ago. Amanda must have convinced him.

He broke up with her, or she broke his heart more like it because all of the websites said he was single. Maybe I should go searching before it's too late to rekindle something that should have happened......