Chapter 10 (Keep)

You, Bertholdt, and Annie walk into the inn, next to Reiner. Well, Bertholdt was being carried by Annie and Reiner. He was still out.

"Hello?" Said a tired looking man behind the counter. "Do you need a room?"

"Yes." You say as the other three sit on some chairs.

"We have one room left. I'm not sure it will accommodate all of you, though." The counter man says.

"We're only staying for one night." Reiner says.

"Oh, right. You need to write your names on this so we don't put someone else's stuff in." The man said.

"A-are you sure that's necessary?" Reiner asks, his face getting worried.

"Yes, young man. It is. Unless you don't want a room." The man behind the counter slides a paper and pen toward Reiner.

"Would you happen to have anything for Survey Corps?" Reiner asks.

"You're..." The man says, sputtering.

"Graduates of 104th trainees, at your service. We have to get a room, and fast." Reiner says, standing up.

"Follow me." The man says.

"And one more thing, if anyone comes in from Survey Corps, we weren't here."

"What do you mean?" The man turns around.

"I mean, this is the most secret mission they've ever carried out." Reiner plants a hand on the counter, muscles tense. "Please, give us a room."

"Yes, sir." The man's eyes are wide. Scared. "Upstairs, to your left. Room 18." He hands you the key.

Bertholdt gasps, eyes opening. He coughs a couple of times, then coughs several times. He looks wildly around.

"Wh-where are we?" He asks frantically.

"We're in an inn, we got a room." Reiner helps the bigger boy to his feet.

"R-really?" Bertl asks, right before he falls down again.

"Is he okay?" Annie asks.

"Yeah, just m-my..." Bertholdt looks to the man. "My leg. The bullet, you know? It's cramped a bit."

"Oh no. You got a bullet injury? Do you need any bandages, water to pour on it?" The man asks, reaching under the desk.

"No, no. We're okay." You say. "We took care of that before we came in. Don't worry."

"Come on." Reiner reaches for your hand, withdrawing when he looked at Bertholdt's face, which was glaring at Reiner's hand. He slowly shakes his head.

"Here, give me the key..." You say, holding your hand out. Reiner tosses it to you without a word.

"Come on." Annie says. "We should look at the room." She heads up the stairs.

"Here, can you take Bertholdt?" Reiner asks to you.

"Sure?" You take Bertholdt and follow Reiner up the stairs.

"W-wait." Bertl says.

"Yeah?" You say. Reiner stops, looking back at the two of you. You wave him away, with a face you hoped said, "One second, be right up."

Bertholdt put one arm across your shoulders. "Th-there, now I can walk."

You put an arm around his waist, helping him up the rest of the stairs. Or at least pretending to, so it looked like there was a bullet in his leg. As soon as you got out of view of the man, Bertholdt started walking normally. He didn't let go, though.

"Bertl, you can stop pretending now..." Reiner whispered with jealousy in his face as Annie unlocked the door. There were two beds in the room, and one small table. Four chairs around the table.

"Who's getting the beds?" Annie says after a second of shocked silence.

"Well, they're pretty big beds..." Reiner says.

"So w-what do we do?" Bertholdt asks.

"How about you and Annie in that bed and me and (y/n) in the other?" Reiner says.

"H-how about no?" Bertholdt's eyes glow in the same way they had when he punched Reiner.

"Or maybe Annie and I could be in this one and you and Reiner could have this one?" You suggest.

"No." The three of them say immediately. Reiner's mouth twitches up.

"You're kidding me with that, right?" He asks. "He'd beat me up in my sleep. Or the other way."

"So why not Reiner with Annie and Bertholdt with me?" You ask.

"Annie would beat me up also." Reiner says.

"W-what? No she wouldn't. I-I'd be okay with that sleeping way." Bertholdt shrugs.

"Of course you would..." Reiner crosses his arms, looking out the window.

"Why don't we just sleep the way Reiner suggested and get it over with?" Annie asks, looking at Bertholdt for a bit too long.

"Sounds good to me..." Reiner says.

"D-does it matter?" Bertholdt asks.

"Yes." Reiner said, turning away. He starts making the bed.