Chapter 11 (Keep)

It's finally night. The four of you were almost done with making yourselves seem like townspeople, at least at first glance. Reiner had dyed his hair dark, and Bertl had bleached his and cut it on the sides. Annie's was now red. Yours was now (f/c). All of you got rid of your soldier's clothes, except the 3dmg.

The four of you change for bed. You've decided to take watch first, making sure no one from the military knew where you were somehow. Just in case.

One by one, the other three are asleep. You sit on the bed that Reiner's asleep on, a candle burning next to you, and begin to read.

Only a few minutes had passed until you noticed Reiner shift on the bed, facing you. He breathes in a sigh. You look over to him, but his eyes are closed. You still aren't used to him with dark hair. He looks too much like Bertl.

You smile, going back to your book.

(Reiner's POV)

I can't sleep. I turn over to where I know (y/n) is. I open my eyes. The candlelight is making a halo around her head, illuminating her face.

A faint smile graces her lips, probably about the book she's reading. God, she's gorgeous. I close my eyes, sighing. I can feel her looking over to me, then back to her book.

My eyes open again.

"Hey." I say.

"Hey." She says, looking to me.

"I can't sleep..." I say.

"I can tell." She says, turning the page.

"Should I stay up?" I ask.

"Instead of me or with me?"

"With, I guess, since my shift is next..."

(Your POV)

It had been almost an hour, and it had been nice knowing you weren't the only one up in the whole place. A bit earlier, you had crawled under the blanket, which was much nicer than the one you were used to. Reiner was reading too, a candle on his side of the bed too.

You were dozing off, half reading, and the other half fuzzy consciousness.

Then, gunfire.

From downstairs. You would recognize that anywhere. The type of gun you had practiced with in training, but never got to really use. Really official ones. A shiver crawled down your spine, and you shook Reiner.

"Get up. Now. Get your gear on. Tell Annie and Bertl. They found us." You get up quickly, but making the least noise you could, putting on the heavy gear. All of you had slept with the straps, in case this had happened. The other three quickly follow suit, strapping the heavy boxes to your legs. You take a deep breath pushing yourself out the window with the others following quickly behind you.

The wind whipped by you, along with some faint lights from windows. The four of you kept latching onto sturdy structures, getting further and further from the inn and town. Of course, it didn't stop you from feeling the momentary thrill of being airborne, like you always got when you whiz around on the 3dmg.

The problem is, it's dark. Very, very dark.

You crash into Bertl, hearing an "Oof!" from him. A sharp pain flares up from your ribcage when you hit the ground, one wire wrapped around your leg. The wire cuts into your skin, and it takes all your willpower to not cry out in pain, because if you did, you'd be found for sure.

Then, Bertholdt is beside you, untangling the wire quickly from your leg, which was already starting to heal. Tears stream down your face.

He finishes untangling you, gripping your hand and wiping away your tears with the other.

"It's going to be okay." He whispers, and you close your eyes.

"I hope so..." You whisper back, opening your eyes and unsteadily getting to your feet. "Come on, we should go." You say, helping him up.

"Let's go, then." He says, your 3dmg whipping you through the air at the same time as he shoots away.

(A/N)

Hey, guys! I am so sorry that I didn't get this out sooner, but I kept having things come up. Sort of like:

Me: Time to work on the story!

Life: Nope, you have to do school stuff.

Olympics: Nope, there's gymnastics and swimming on.

Friends: Nope, we need to hang out

So, I will work on this this weekend, but I am still so sorry.

See you through the screen!