Chapter VII - I try so hard

DREAM JOURNAL

I try so hard

We were in the gym for a school function. I was seated beside Aunt Estela. Suddenly, the seats were

re- arranged so that somehow, I ended up sitting next to James.

I was angry. Angry because of all those years that he ignored me. 'Can you change seats with Aunt Estela?'

He gave me a wounded look. 'I try so hard to find ways for us to talk'.

He walked away. Regretting my outburst, I searched for him everywhere and called his name...

but I couldn't find him.

..............

During our days in the batcave, Gail went out with all sorts of unworthy guys. One of them was Jonnel. He was a member of the Presidential Guard. They met outside MalacanangPalace, which housed the President, while she was on her way to a nearby St. Jude cathedral.

"Miss! Miss!" The guy called. Gail turned around to see a man in a guard's uniform approaching her.

The police were not looked upon well in the Philippines as they were often associated with graft, corruption and other shady deals. "What do you want?" she asked warily.

"I just want to be friends." He said.

In this country, it is a tradition that women must play hard to get and Gail was an old fashioned girl. So, she felt it was a sort requirement that she had to refuse the first offer. "I don't want to be friends." Gail snapped.

"Can I just get your number then?"

Gail thought about it for a while. He was now looking at her with such irresistible puppy dog eyes and he seemed really desperate to get to know her. And besides, she had already complied with the requirement of first refusal.

"Okay."

...................

"He's no longer texting or calling." Gail said, glumly, as she checked her cell phone for the nth time and found no messages from him.

I looked up from reading my textbook in Criminal Law. "Relax, maybe he's just busy with other stuff." I consoled. Though in truth, I knew, he was simply no good.

"He has a reputation of being a playboy."

"Look, don't jump to conclusions." I said, lying once more. I had already jumped to conclusions. In my mind, I had already sentenced the guy to life imprisonment. Of course, I didn't tell her that. I was trying to make her feel better.

"I'm not a cheap woman! I'm not going to compromise my dignity!" She said, firmly, as though trying to convince herself of it.

"Yes, of course. I know you'd never do that..."

Gail didn't seem to notice the very subtle sarcasm in my voice, which was good really. I was in no mood for an argument that day.

............

I looked at Gail from the passenger's seat of her car. "Where are we going again?" Being a person who was truly bad with directions, I dared not drive at all. Gail, however, was a very good driver. And they say that if you can drive in the Philippines, considering that the roads are filled with daredevil reckless drivers, you can drive anywhere in the world. So, that's saying something about Gail's driving skills.