chapter 4

Easton's POV

It had been a few weeks since I got out of the hospital and I was still having flashbacks.

My mom had gone to New York to see my great aunt Ruth, who had a heart attack. I told her that she should go alone because we couldn't afford the cost of 2 airfair tickets and because I still had to go to school. I told her that I would stay with my friend who's mom had said it was okay for how ever many days she would be gone. Of course I was lying, but I did want her to go see aunt Ruth.

She had given me $200 and I had $300 stashed under my bed from my allowance.

I had to make it look like I was going to my friends house so I packed a few bags but they were all filled with rolled up towels to make it look like it had clothes.

I told her that I was going to wait until she left to leave.

She was ready to go and I told her that my friend Daphne was coming to pick me up. As she drove off I was standing by the curb, waiting until she was gone to go back in to the house.

I locked the door when I came in and saw that my mom had left an open wine bottle that was full, on the counter. I put the cork back in and put it in the fridge.

I walked in to my living room I was watching the news and a little girl had been killed by her dad, he had also taken his own life.

The reporter was saying how exactly he had done is and I changed the channel. There was a documentary about some famous football player. A man come on the screen, "Hey, my name is Tom." Even though he looked nothing like the Tom that had assaulted me the mention of his name sent me spiralling back.

I couldn't control what I was doing but I knew that I was walking, it was like my subconscious knew what would make my feel better, I only knew that I had something in my hand and then I was drinking it. The liquid tasted awful but it make me feel better like it was taking the pain away from me, making me numb.

I came back to find that I was holding the wine bottle in my hand was, even though I knew that I shouldn't be drinking it, I couldn't help but bring the bottle back to my lips and drink some more. I felt better in a sense, the pain was gone, but I felt guilty about what I had done.

I brought the bottle that was still 7/8th full back to the living room, I turned off the tv and finished the whole wine bottle. My throat burned because of the alcohol, but I felt much, much better.

I felt myself stating to fall asleep, so I went to my room stripped off my clothes, changed into my pajamas and fell in to a numb, black, dreamless sleep.