chapter 20

Easton POV

I took off running. My feet hitting the ground in a fast rhythm. Turning to the left I saw what looked like the little park, I looked to the left then to the right(look both ways like mom always said). I bolted across the street and walked to the swing set.

I sat down and tried to calm my breathing. I focused on the sound of the things around me. I always found that it helped deflect from what was actually going on at the moment.

There was alot of commotion on the basketball court. I saw that a group of what looked like middle schoolers, starting a pick up game of basketball. They were all boys and some of them had already hit their growth spurt. Others were clearly left in the dust.They were dividing up into teams, and since they clearly thought they were the total package, they did the classic, shirts vs skins.

I saw two fairly good looking dudes do rock-paper-scissors, for who would pick first. I noticed a certain boy that kept looking back at me. He was one of the ones the had been picked to be on the skins them. He looked older than all of the other boys, he looked more like a man than a boy. Once he took off his shirt all of my assumptions were proven correct. He was built, and I mean BUILT! From the looks of it they were all 12-14 years of age. He looked like he was 17 at the least.

Once the game started, he took off and was scoring baskets like no other. I literally, lost count of just how many times he dunked the ball. I couldn't keep up after 29 and the other times, he would shoot 3 pointers and make nothing but net. This boy, um, I mean, this MAN clearly knew exactly what he was going. The other kids couldn't keep up.

He went up in the air for yet another, slam dunk. But this time he grabbed a hold of the basket rim and held on. He was looking directly at me and he winked. At this alone I was red in the face. Then after he let go and was once again in the ground, he raised his hand to his mouth and blew me a kiss. I looked down at my feet and bit my lip.

I was about to leave because I could see that all of the boys noticed me and being boys it took them about two seconds to start ramming each other in the sides, start punching each other in the arms and stomachs. The group as a whole came over to me (Exept the young man who had been whipping all of their assess, he had disappeared to God knows where) and just stood in front of me for a while until someone summed up the courage to actually talk to me.

"Hi, I'm Connor." A short boy with blond hair said.

"Um, hi?" I said questioningly. "My-my name's Easton."

"I'm Mike!"

It went like that for a while. There was Connor, Mike, Oden, Cody, Ronnie, Robbie, Tomly, Zach, Alex, Alec and Conrad. I still hasn't put names to faces.

"Do you want to get some ice cream with us?" A taller orange haired boy asked. I think he was Conrad.

"I would, but I don't have any money on me at the moment." I really didn't want to go anywhere with them, they seemed like really nice boys, but, they were acting like they had never even seen a girl before.

You know the boys in your class that are always starring at the really pretty girl in class? They seemed like the boys who would follow her home.

"I'LL PAY FOR YOU!" They all yelled at the same time. That only proved my point more.

I never felt comfortable being the center of attention, it was much out of my comfort zone. They were ripping me out of my comfort zone and dropping me in the wild.

"Oh, um," I looked back the way I had come, trying to determine whether or not to run away. No, Easton, that would be rude. Just stick it out, maybe I'll even have some fun with these boys. "O-okay I guess."