Chapter 21 Kind of a Date

Jake, Adam, Abby, and I take Lucy, Leo, Daisy, and David to the pool on the 17th. It's one of the hottest days we've had all summer, and the Wilson's pool decides to have a filtration problem. There's some gross gunk leaking into the water. Jake's sisters all have friends with pools, so that leaves the rest of us with the public pool.

Jake drives us this time, with Abby next to him, (when we went bowling Adam drove). We borrow the Wilson's van, so we can fit everyone. I sit in the back behind Abby and Adam is behind Jake. Lucy and David sit in the very back, with Leo and Daisy smashed between them. It's not perfect, but it gets us to the pool. Thank God Leo and Daisy are small enough that we were able to get the buckle around both of them.

Once we're there, we look for a place to set up our towels. It takes a really long time because the pool is super packed. We end up on the grass towards the deep end of the pool.

"Okay, sunscreen everyone!" I say.

"Ehh. You sound like my mother," Abby smirks.

"Whatever. Just do it," I remark.

After I put sunscreen on Lucy and Adam puts it on David, we all walk to the shallow end of the pool.

"Okay so how do we do this?" Adam asks.

"You guys take the first shift," Jake says.

"I'm okay with that." I walk up to him, so no one else can hear, "Means you're stuck with them last."

"Wait, I-"

"Too late," I smile slyly at Jake. "Come on kids. Let's get in."

Lucy, David, Leo, Daisy, Adam, and I get into the pool, while Abby and Jake walk over to the diving boards. We watch as Jake climbs the high dive, and Abby leaps off the low dive. Jake reaches the top and stands at the edge of the stairs. Below, Abby waits on the other side of the rope because she's not allowed to block the way of the low divers. We all watch in awe as Jake runs off the end, flips, and dives. Well, everyone but Adam.

"I can do better than that!" Adam brags.

"Sure you can," I tease.

"Watch me." He leaves me with the kids as he gets out of the pool, and strides confidently to the high dive. Abby and Jake swim over and ask what he's doing.

"Showing off," Lucy answers with sass.

We all watch as Adam stands on the edge of the board, jumps twice, and does a double flip into a dive.

"Oh, it is so on!" Jake proclaims.

We watch as he jumps again doing a triple flip. Then, Adam does a side flip. Jake does some sort of twist. Then Adam does the same twist into a flip. Jake copies Adam except going into a double flip. By this time, we all stop watching. What was going to be Adam and I babysitting, turned out to be rivalry of the best flip.

David wanted to go to the deep end, so we told him to stay where we could see him. Since Daisy can't swim, the rest of us decided to stay in the shallow end.

We continue to look at the diving board throughout our conversation of how dumb boys are. They keep adding new tricks and flips to outdo the other. Finally, Adam does a back flip and ends it. Everyone cheers for the awesome show, which causes Adam and Jake to shake hands and chest bump in the water. They look over at us smiling, and we return scowls and arm crosses.

When they swim over to us, we both look uninterested and carry on our conversation from before. Adam and Jake say something like "hello, we're right here," but we don't care. It wasnt till the two of them started playfully splashing us that we gave in.