As Normal As Can Be

Part One

Mrs Alton is a very normal woman. She runs a pretty normal household; a group home for special case foster kids. Kids who might have issues beyond what the state can handle with their services. With that in mind, she tries to keep order. Sometimes it's the only place these kids have the stability they deserve. The kids there are pretty nice, too, and indeed normal when you look past the issues that landed them there, myself included.

My coming here came from getting hit by a car pretty badly. In the middle of the night. By myself. No severe injuries, but I hit my head quite hard, I guess. It was a pretty fast incident. All I had for my knowledge of who I was and where I came from was my first name, Avis. I also knew I was getting away from something bad. Other than that, I had nothing. Another issue with me was I was severely tired, even after hours of sleep. I'd doze off with little to no warning of when. I puzzled social workers beyond anything they had ever seen. With no other options and no identification of who my parents were, they opted I go here.

It's pretty average. I'm pretty average, too. I've got my own room with posters I've amassed, some gifts from when I first landed on the doorstep, and others I got myself after gaining some tastes. The bed's nice and warm, I've got a laptop and a cell phone like thousands of teenagers everywhere. I even have an allowance every week; it's not much, but all this definitely makes life a little nicer.

My routine is structured, as Mrs Alton makes it. Rise at 5:45, breakfast, school, free time, dinner at 6 and bed at 9:30. It couldn't get anymore normal than that can it? Well, as it turns out, I may be the least normal person on the planet.