Going Home

Morning came and I stuck my head into Mother and Fathers room. "Mother?" I whispered into the quiet room.

She rustles in bed and and then says "Oh, good morning Avis. Is everything alright?"

I smile and say "yeah, I was just wondering if you packed any other clothes for me."

"Of course. Let me get them." She said softly with a smile, walking out of my line of sight and returning with a duffle bag. I graciously take it and close the door. I open it up and rifle through it. There's clothes, but also some basic toiletries, but better stuff than the hotel's. I get an outfit and the toiletries, then walk to the bathroom. I take a quick but needed shower and change. After brushing my hair, I pick up the toothbrush and brush my teeth. I think about yesterday and brush harder. As I'm walking out of the bathroom there's a knock, then Mother's voice, "Avis, there's still a little time until we can check out, so just relax and we'll get you."

"Okay!" I chime back, flopping into the bed and finding the remote. I lean back against the wall and flip channels. There's never anything on TV.

After some time of complete boredom and uneventfulness, I hear voices. It's Mother and Father in the other room. I press my ear to the wall and eavesdrop.

"So, what's the plan for when we get her back to the lab?" Asks Mother.

Father hums in thought. "There's a lot of reprogramming to be done. We might have to completely overhaul the whole thing."
I don't like the sound of that. I haven't like most of Fathers plans.

"What exactly are we supposed to do?!" Mother sounds exasperated. "She's not a bad android. You don't understand."

I hear Father sigh. "She isn't bad, you're right. We'll have to talk more in the lab." The words have a harsh finality to them.

I stop listening in and go back to the TV. Then I get on my phone using the WiFi and screw around. Finally, Mother comes in through the door and tells me to come. I follow her out the door, as Father speedwalks a few paces ahead of us.

Mother turns to me as we walk out the sliding doors, and says, "It's a long drive to home still. We won't be home till late. Wanna get lunch?"

I smile and nod, stepping into the car and closing the door. Father gets in after Mother and starts the car, and we all drive away, back to a place I once was afraid to come back to. Maybe I still am. Either way, it's home.