A Foster Kid's Life

"Avii! Time to get up!" A way-too happy voice chirped. "Breakfast is starting soon!"

I groan and try to pull myself up with the wall,  almost ripping my Attack on Titan poster off the tacks. "Marin..." I moan. "My God..." I trail off, losing my train of thought. If there was one thing I never lacked at the house, it was an alarm clock. I've had more days than I could count that started like that. Bright and early. Or as bright as I could handle. I'm far from a morning person, especially on school days.

The voice belonged to Marin Desgold; the closest thing to a friend I have here. She smiles brightly, throwing the black covers of my bed. She shakes her head at me, her blonde hair swirling as she does so. "Sleepyhead." She teases with a giggle. She always liked to tease, but it was never mean spirited about it, and I never let it get to me.

I clamber out of bed, and follow her to the breakfast table, filled with the ten or so kids residing in the home. There's a small stack of pancakes at each seat, with a place card at each one, not that they were needed. Mrs Alton just likes the way they look. We all had assigned seats, and we knew them well, Marin's right next to mine, which, as one might suspect, is how we got to be friends to begin with. We plopped in our seats and began eating. Chatter filled the room, but I didn't speak much. I made small talk with Marin in between bites of pancake about school and what we planned to do on the weekend, if anything. Marin, for all her outgoing looks, was a bit of a homebody. As for me, I feel out of place going out and about save for a few places like school and the mall.

I quickly cleaned off my plate, brushed my teeth in the upstairs bathroom as I quickly showered (girls outnumber boys at the house, and, knowing most girls, theres always a fairly long line for the girls bathroom in the morning, and you do not want to hold up this line) after wrapping myself up in a towel and blow drying my hair, I made my way to my room, closing the door behind me. Sitting on the dresser were the clothes I set out for myself the night before: a Paramore tee, my favourite jeans and grungy Vans I got when I first arrived at the home, that I ruined by constantly wearing them. I dressed myself and haphazardly brushed my hair and sprayed on some cheap perfume. I snagged my backpack, slinging it over my shoulders as I walk to the living room. Marin hops beside me as I sit down, "you gonna start watching anime?" She asked, wrinkling her nose.
"Come on Marin, my life does not revolve around it. I'm not a giant weeb." If there was one thing about Marin, she always disagreed with me on all my tastes.
She giggles at this. "You've got wristbands, posters, t-shirts, all sorts of merch," she teased.
I flushed. She wasn't lying. "Well, I don't wear it everyday." I said, opening myself to inspection, just to prove her wrong.
She looked me up and down. "Nope, no shirts, no lanyard, no wristbands. Only thing I can't see is your socks and underwear."
I instinctively curled my toes in my shoes. My socks were mismatched and definitely had Sailor Neptune and Sailor Venus on them. I smiled and said, "I absolutely do not have any anime undergarments of any sort" I wasn't gonna let her win.

Once Marin got distracted by some other thing, I pull my phone out of my pocket and plug in my headphones, then, I start up Crunchyroll. As much as I hate to say it, everything Marin says about me is true. I'm a weeb. It's a good way to tune out distractions as all the other kids get ready for their day. About one episode of Fairy Tail later, the bus for the high schoolers pulls up, and we leave the younger kids behind. On the ride there, I continue my mini anime binge. It's a fairly short ride, since there's only one other stop before we get to school, so I barely get half an episode in.

Our bus pulls up with the rest, and we all climb out. I walk silently to my locker, ignoring all the kids who are way too noisy for 7:30 in the morning near me and grab all my things for the beginning of the day, and walk upstairs to my first class, Trigonometry. What fun. I sit in my seat and pull out my text book. Math. Probably the worst subject on the planet. It's dead boring, especially this particular class. The teachers voice is dull, flat, and so monotonous. Her voice makes me drowsy only a few minutes after class starts. The lesson is uninteresting. The words on the book mean nothing to me. It's too early for this. I tell myself. I can't focus on all those numbers. Well, I've got a doctors excuse for falling asleep, she can't get me in trouble for it.

I yawned quietly, and in mere moments, I'm out like a light. Right there on my open textbook.