Online

Four years ago

All was quiet in the room as the scientist inspected his creation once more. The silence is broken by the sound of clicking footsteps on the white, sterile floor. The scientist turns to it.

"So, honey, tell me. You've been in a fervour creating her. You never told me your real reasons, not the ones you've already talked about. I know it. But now that it's all done, what's the big plan?" A woman in a lab coat asks as she moves beside him.

He wraps an arm around her waist. "You've been in this project with me, too, Lorraine, as my wife, and scientific partner. We started this as a little experiment. See what we can do. You have your reasons for what we created, and I have mine." The scientist says. He smiles. "Your ideals have been met, I believe. I hope we have succeeded in meeting mine. Succeeded in a perfect replication of human life." He looked at his clipboard and read aloud.

"Components for Automated Virtual Intelligent System.
Full AI. Check
Body warmth simulator. Check
Emotion replication programming. Check.
Vital sign simulator. Check.
Artificial body systems. Check.
Full facial expression abilities. Check.
Recharge-by-rest system. Check.
Artificial blood. Check."

Pretty much a human being, he mused to himself.

"You've fully updated her AI, right?" He asks.

His wife smiles, and says "yes, she is now fully capable of learning. I patched the code this morning."

He looks at the robot, being held up by a stand, wires coming out from the base of the skull and both arms. The robot is barefoot and is dressed in a plain blue hospital gown. Lorraine looks at her, too, but with a less critical eye.

"It's time." He steps up, and presses a button by the stand holding up the lifeless robot. It's only a few seconds, but the anticipation mounts intensely.

"Hello." He says, as the robot's eyes open and flicker to life. The scientist releases all the tension he's had for so long and smiles, keeping a calm, professional demeanour.

"Hello," she replies, "I'm pleased to meet you."

"Do you know who I am?" The scientist asks. He's crawling with excitement. He waits on bated breath for her response.

The robot smiles. She knows the answer to his question. She knows how happy he'll be to hear her say it. She looks at him and says "You are Father."