Relevations

Outside the lab, I stand with my back to the wall. I'm not making a sound, and eavesdropping. Their voices are tired, and strained. They seem like they're on the verge of a fight.

Mothers voice comes through sharply, "you've lost the whole meaning behind creating Avis. When we created her, we wanted to replicate perfect life! And we did! And now, just because she didn't turn out exactly how you wanted her, you want to get rid of her?!"

Father replies, "I never said I wanted to get r-"
"Resetting her is the same difference! You'll reprogram her and she won't be the same."

Mother interrupts. "You wanted to give her free will. You said she had to be her own person. And now you're upset because it didn't go as planned"

Father grumbles, "Well, what about you? You stopped looking at this with a scientists mind ages ago! You got too emotionally attached to her. When I told you she thinks your her mother, that got to your head, didn't it?" He says, his voice getting snarly.

Mother's voice cracks. "Wha- wh" she falters. Her voice comes back, though, sounding nearly anguished, "What did you expect me to think? How did you think I was going to act when you designed her to look like Beth!?"

The words ring through the air as the atmosphere gets tense. I can hear them breathe.

"Of course she's going to look like Beth! She's programmed to look like us! When are you going to move on from that?" Says Father. "You care too much!"

"And you care too little" snaps Mother. "Not just about Avis, but about me! You roped me into this project because you just needed someone to develop the psychology code by manipulating me! You could've gotten some other psychologist, a different coder someone else who could have been impartial and paid them; money isn't a problem for us but instead you connived me into this! Because all you ever do is cut corners! All you care about is end results that you can brag about."

"You're just so far disconnected to what real science is! All you have is a psychology degree and coding certification. You have a fraction of the time I have in the real academic world." Father shouts back.

It's getting to be too much. I'm clenching my fists now and clenching my jaw, too. I take a deep breath and still keep my head to the wall, though.

"Well, I'm sorry I spent ten years raising a family! W-while you shut yourself away and never showed around for days on end?" Mother says, desperate and shaking. "Where were you on all the birthdays, and Christmases , school plays? All the milestones? Where were you that day eight years ago? Do you even remember? 'Cause I sure as Hell do." Her voice has took on a chilling clarity.

Father sighed loudly. "I am not having this conversation with you again. If you're not going to be with me on this, I'll do it myself."

Now is the time to make my move. I walk to the door and swing it open. My own actions catch me off guard for a moment but I cover it up quickly, standing in the threshold. "Like Hell you are."