Simon Says

Three years ago

Avis sat on her bed, Simon beside her.
"I'm glad you're back, Simon, I missed you," said Avis, smiling
Simon smiled back and said, "I missed you, too, Avis."
"Why did you leave?" She asked.
He sighed, "you father wanted me to take a break. But now I'm back, and that's all that matters."
Her face lit up and she remembered something, "I had my birthday while you were gone! I'm 13 now!" She chippered.
"Oh yes, that's right! Want me to give you a late birthday present?" He asked.
Avis nodded and Simon pointed to her tablet. She ran and grabbed it, then gave it to him. He set it down between them and leaned in on it, placing a hand on Avis' knee. Avis watched as he went to a blocked website, and started to type in a code.
"You're unblocking it!?" She said, surprised.
"Ssh. Your parents can't know." He replied.
"They- they said it was for my own good!" She retorted.
He grabbed her shoulders, and looked into her eyes.
"It's not for your own good! They're trying to control you! I just want... I just want you to be free."
Avis solemnly nodded. He completes the unblocking, and walks out.
"Thanks." She said.
Simon nodded a goodbye through the window.

Later that night, Avis was on her tablet, on YouTube, her new favourite thing. She heard something slide under the door. She uncovered herself and saw an envelope. She opened it to find a key and a letter.

"For the library. Keep yourself safe. Don't let them control you. Be free.
                                            Simon"

She smiled. She said to herself, "Simon is so nice" and crawled back into bed.

Simon smiled when he saw she got his letter, and he was so happy to see her smile at it, and the words she said. It brought home so much joy as he watched her go to bed with joy and remake her blanket fort to play on her tablet.