Sentient

Four years ago

"Father?," the robot asks, her excitement turning to curiosity, "Who am I?"

The scientist grinned. Everything was going according to plan. "Ah, my child... Already asking questions? Let's make a little deal. Tell me, what do you know? Do that, and then I'll tell you who you are"

The robot closed her eyes hard and scrunched her face for a few seconds, like she was thinking. The opened them back up, suppressing a grin. She had something she knew she hadn't shown Father yet.

"You," she said, as she turned to Lorraine, "You're mother." After she spoke, she glanced over to the scientist to see his approval.

Lorraine beamed. "Yes, I am your mother." Hearing her say that was payoff enough for all the work the team had done. Lorraine had never felt prouder.

She then turned to the aide, who, like the others, was looking at her expectantly, and after a few seconds of looking and thinking, a puzzled expression crossed her face. "I don't know who you are," she said with a sigh.

The aide immediately looked crestfallen, and turned to the scientist, confused.

The scientist paid him no mind and simply smiled at the robot. "That's just as I expected, and completely fine, my dear, I'll just have to introduce you. This is Simon. He just joined the team a while ago, so I knew you wouldn't recognise him. Anyway, go on, don't be shy, say hello to the young man"

She looked at the aide again. "Hello, Simon, it's nice to meet you" she replies, giving a small wave.

"Hello, and uh, it's nice to meet you too," the aide says.

The scientist grins again. "Yes, it's very nice," he says. "Hello, and welcome to your home, Avis"