Learning

Four and a half years ago

"Avis is learning very well with her library books. She has become a very knowledgeable girl." The scientist said.
"Indeed. I feel like a proud mother." Lorraine said.
"Sshhh. Avis does think you're her mother." He replied.

He knocked on the metal door to Avis' room. "Avi. We have a surprise for you."
Avis looked up from her book. "A surprise!"
Lorraine beamed. "Yes honey. Father has it for you."
The scientist pulled out a device from his pocket. "This, Avis, is a tablet. We decided you can't just go on books. Turn it on." He said, as he gave it to her.

She found the on button, and as soon as the screen lit up, so did her face. She squealed and pressed it to her chest. "Thank you thank you thank you!" She yelled. She gasped as she scrolled through. "It's got games on it! And I can go on the internet!"

Those last words took them aback. They had never told her about the internet. They kept it out of her books. She wasn't supposed to know. Controlling her learning was the only way to keep her in check. If we learned too much, she could become dangerous. They could not allow that. "Where did you learn about such things?" Lorraine asked.

Avis' expression mellowed, like she blurted out a secret. "Simon gave me a book about it. From the big library." She said quietly.
"Well, I guess we'll talk to Simon about this." The scientist said, as he walked out the door.