Chapter 16

Robert got in the car and started the engine. It was a beautiful cold morning, a perfect day to pick up groceries. Belle sat in the car next to him, applying her lipstick in her compact mirror. They passed through Main Street and all the shops and restaurants decorated for Christmas. Snow and ice lay on the sidewalks and the gray sky set the tone for the upcoming holidays. Belle could hear the jolly music coming from outside the bakery, where there was a blowup Santa Clause moving its body side to side with the rhythm of the music. The town was oddly quiet, and the streets seemed emptier than usual, but it was still peaceful. Belle smiled and looked toward Robert. He glanced at her then continued driving, one hand on the steering wheel, the other on the lever. She placed her hand over his. He glanced at her again and smiled.

Suddenly, Belle's happy mood faltered when she saw what was ahead. A crowd had surrounded the square, and Belle could make out the top of a large wooden frame. The crowd seemed...angry...or excited. But it didn't calm Belle's nerves. Something felt very...wrong. The townspeople were yelling, mostly profanities, then they cheered.

Robert could not get past the crowd, and he was curious to see what was going on himself. He got out, and Belle did the same. Robert grabbed Belle's hand and started pushing through the crowd.

"What's going on?" Belle cried over the noise.

A man heard them and boomed, "Hey everyone, it's the newcomers."

The people quieted down and turned their attention toward the Golds. The ones in front moved out of the way to make a path. Robert put an arm around his wife and walked forward, frowning at those snickering at them. When they got to the front and saw what lay before them, Belle let out a screech. She quickly put her head in Robert's chest. Robert held on to her, his eyes widened at the sight. In front of them was a man, not much taller than Robert, hanging. The rope was tied to his neck and hung from the tall wooden frame--a gallow of some sort. The man was also very bruised, his face swollen red and purple, as if he had been beaten very badly. Robert couldn't believe this, as he heard tittering behind him. He swallowed and averted his eyes to the ground. It didn't help when he noticed a puddle under the deceased man, and the dripping coming from the pant legs. Robert also noticed another pair of feet on the ground, from the person holding the rope. Robert looked up again to see none other than Killian Jones grinning right at him, and Emma Swan standing solemnly by his side.

~~~~

"What the HELL did I just witness out there?!" Robert shouted.

Regina sighed while staring out the window of her office, but didn't answer. After the nightmarish scene at the town square, Robert pulled Belle back to the Cadillac, turned it around, and drove straight to the Mayor's office.

"Miss Mayor?" he demanded again.

Regina swallowed and turned to face a deeply concerned Robert and Belle. "I'm sorry you had to see that. This hasn't happened for at least a few years. I was hoping it would never happen again."

Robert shook his head, confused. "What are you talking about? What would never happen again?"

"This town has...a strange tradition when it comes to criminal punishment." She walked to the front of her desk and leaned back on it. "When a person here commits a serious felony, the law enforcement council gets together and decides what type of cruel and unusual punishment should be used. And well...stuff like this happens."

"But...this is medieval! It's wrong!" Belle exclaimed.

"Don't you think I know that?" Regina shot back.

"Then why does it still happen? Why don't you do something about this? You're the mayor."

"This has been going on for generations BECAUSE of my family. I can't just stop it, otherwise they get angry--"