Chapter 17

"Ooh look Robert, she's back!" Belle gushed.

The neighborhood cat walked up to Belle and purred, rubbing its lean orange body around her legs. Belle giggled and grabbed the small bag of cat food they kept by the door just as Robert approached behind her.

"Here you go Sweet Pea," Belle said, placing a small handful of food slightly away from the door. "Enjoy." She ran her hand over Sweet Pea's head and back, much to the kitty's appreciation.

Belle shivered and went back inside. "I wonder if she ever gets cold. Poor little thing."

Robert smiled. "She'll be alright Belle, she's a fierce one. You know she pounced on me the other day?"

Belle laughed. "Really?"

"Yup. I don't think she liked me at first. But she changed her mind a week after we started feeding her." He winked.

Belle laughed again, then checked her watch. "Oh, we should start getting ready. It's almost lunch hour and I want to make it to Granny's for her Homemade Chicken Soup and Apple Pie special before everyone else crowds the place."

They got dressed and headed out. Sweet Pea sat on one of the rocking chairs on the front porch, snuggling into the soft cushion.

Granny's was not as hectic to Robert and Belle's relief. The place was decorated for the holidays, with reeds hanging over each booth, ornaments on display, and even a small beautifully decorated Christmas tree stood on the corner. Soft holiday melodies played over the speakers and the whole place smelled of sweet pie. The Golds spotted an empty booth and were about to head towards it when Ruby stood in their way.

"Well look who it is," she sneered, narrowing her eyes at the two. "If it isn't the tempered animal and his two-timing wife."

Belle wanted to wrap Ruby's braids around her neck and strangle her with it but all she could do was glare.

"Two-timing huh?" Robert said, lifting a brow. "Wouldn't that be a little hypocritical for you to say dearie?"

Ruby opened her mouth in shock and would have spoken back if not for Granny coming over and shoving Ruby aside.

"Ruby, GET in the kitchen and do your job. NOW."

Ruby narrowed her eyes at them again and shuffled away.

"I'm sorry about that," Granny said. "She can have such a shitty attitude sometimes. She got it from her mother."

Belle looked at the booth and saw a man that was now sitting there. She sighed. Now all the booths were taken. There were smaller tables available, but Belle much preferred the space of the booths. Granny noticed this and led them over to that booth. The man looked up and grunted.

"Get up," Granny ordered.

"And why the fuck should I do that? Especially for them," he said, pointing his head at the Golds.

"Watch your language and go sit the hell over there damn it!" Granny insisted, pointing at an empty table. "You're only one person hogging the whole freakin' booth. Now scooch!"

The man frowned and then Granny added. "I'll make you your favorite beef and bacon sandwich. Free of charge."

The man quickly moved aside and Belle and Robert took his place.

"Thank you very much Granny, but that wasn't necessary," Belle told her politely.

"Nah it's alright sweetheart. Mr. Comwell's a regular, he can give up one day without sitting where he wants." She leaned over and spoke quietly. "By the way, I know you two are good people. Fuck what everyone else thinks." She winked, handed them their menus, and walked off. Robert smiled, feeling a bit better about things. "That Granny sure is an amazing woman."