Chapter 32

"Belle? You home?" Robert called when he entered through the front door of his house after work. It was obvious she was though, as Robert could currently smell and hear the occurrence of cooking in the kitchen.

Belle appeared to him. She was wearing comfortable clothing, which is what she usually wore after a day at the library; she had yet to remove her makeup and her hair was still done quite nicely. Robert remembered watching her curling and pinning that gorgeous auburn mane of hers. They've been married for years, yet sometimes he still enjoyed seeing her do the mundane activities of every day life. It was comforting and rather beautiful.

Belle smiled. "Hi sweetie. How was work?" Her expression then grew a bit more serious. "Did you...talk with Regina?"

Robert nodded.

"And?" Belle pushed on.

Robert walked forward and pulled Belle into a hug. "She'll help us if the time comes," he said softly into her hair, breathing in the fresh rosy scent of it.

Belle relaxed and pressed up against him. "I'm so glad to hear that."

"But I have other news," Robert informed, pulling back. "We may not have to take a risk after all. Henry has a lawyer, courtesy of Regina."

Belle gaped happily. "Th-That's great! Maybe this won't end so terribly then."

Robert wanted to believe that. He really did. But he knew that just because the lawyer might be a help to Henry, it didn't guarantee his grandson any freedom, at least not for a long time. There was possibility of avoiding death, which was good, but Robert would rather not leave Storybrooke at all without Henry by his side. Then there was the chance of the lawyer not being able to win Henry's case. Then of course, Robert would have to move his plan forward with Regina's reluctant help. He explained all of this and his meeting with the mayor to Belle over dinner.

Robert didn't actually think that Regina would agree to it, but as hesitant as she was and had every right to be, she did. And Robert couldn't feel more thankful. He was also grateful for the mayor's love for Henry and how incredibly useful that became to him. Regina was doing them an IMMENSE favor, one that could get her in a lot of trouble, but she said she would still do it. Robert wanted to take Regina out of the town as well. That woman did not deserve to be here at all, but duty calls and he probably wouldn't be able to convince her of that anyway.

Belle listened and hoped for the best. She especially hoped that Emma would come around. Belle was certain she would, she just had a feeling. Robert wanted Belle to be right about this.

Then, Belle gave him a smirk. "Ok, I know you've been dragging this out more than needed. What did she say to your deal?" The smile widened. "I really need to know."

"Well..." Robert teased. He paused for a long moment.

"Stop! Out with it!"

Robert looked at her, beaming. "Yes."

Belle jumped up from her chair and threw her arms around her husband, hugging him fiercely. "Oh Robert! Robert! I am so proud! I love you so much."

Robert felt warm. He gave his wife a kiss on the cheek. "I love you Belle."

She then sat on his lap and continued her loving embrace on him, feeling lighter at the prospect of their short future in Storybrooke being less abrasive than it was before.

Robert observed Regina's position as mayor. Currently, it wasn't going so well. He didn't really know what Killian Jones played in this matter, but Robert knew that that man was an obstacle. And Killian didn't respect Regina, nor see her as a threat to him. Robert had carefully paid attention in regular town meetings, even ones that didn't involve him. He just went to spectate what was happening around town. Robert Gold was a fast learner. It was why he was quick to start managing stores in his late twenties, then eventually owning them. Regina had tasked him as a landlord and he picked up quite well on that too. He knew he could handle the next, much larger task he offered to do by Regina's side. In any other town, he probably wouldn't be granted this certain request seeing as he had no prior experience and Robert would be extremely hesitant to do it anyway. But seeing as how this wasn't an average town and the mayor was a friend of his, not to mention her patience was running low along with her confidence, Robert found the perfect opportunity to step in and suggest kindly that he work with Regina on running the normal functions of Storybrooke.