Chapter 40

Robert slumped down on the porch chair and sighed heavily, exhausted from the day's activities. He was to give a speech tomorrow to the town's people as their new mayor. He still felt weird thinking of himself like that, like he was replacing Regina. It made him feel depressed. As long as he stayed where he was and continued acting as a mayor, he will always be reminded of Regina. This was unacceptable.

Robert had met with the main members of Regina's council and was helped to prepare the speech. Basically, they had written most of what he was to say and normally Robert would have objected, but he honestly didn't care about any of that. He had more pressing issues on his mind, for example, how he was going to protect his wife from Killian and the brand new whispered rumors circling around the area. Apparently, Robert is greedy for power and Belle is ok with it, and even encouraged him to snag the job away from Regina. Robert laughed sarcastically, extremely bitter from it all.

He himself couldn't care less about the rumors. He was used to it and one threatening swipe of his cane can silence anyone leering in his path. It was Belle he was worried about because these truly did bother her. She'd come home crying some days, tired from the constant disrespect at work and wherever she went out. No one would want to talk to her, or when they did they were cold and were generous with the subtle insults. Kathryn was all she had, except now she was on maternity leave. Belle felt alone at the library. She was alone everywhere.

Robert didn't know what would be the right move anymore, especially not about Killian. After Belle told him what that vile man almost did to her, his entire being went numb. He held his wife as she cried on him, and she cried for the longest time. They lay together that night, his hand caressing her bare belly as he held her from behind. He was going to protect Belle and this child, no matter what it took.

The next week they went to see a doctor, who confirmed that everything was alright. It was a relief for the moment.

Robert hadn't forgotten Henry. Emma wasn't picking up his calls and when he went to her house, Killian was on the front porch, and Robert wasn't in the mood to pick a fight and make things worse. So he drove off. He hadn't heard from Emma in a while and was desperate to get in touch with her. He decided to try laying his plan out for her one more time and see if she was willing to cooperate. The execution was only a couple months away, Emma was bound to panic and change her mind.

It was really too bad the aura was so gloomy, because the days themselves were bright and sunny. Today particularly was a gorgeous hot summer afternoon. Robert loosened his tie and unbuttoned the top of his shirt. Sweet Pea crawled up the porch steps and meowed, dropping to her side and stretching out her limbs. Robert playfully narrowed his eyes and smirked at the cat, not forgetting the mess that was made in his bathroom that one night.

The front door opened and out stepped Belle in a pretty yellow summer dress. Robert took in her beautifully light golden legs, shoulders, arms, chest, and face. She was glowing and he couldn't help noticing how the dress accentuated the curves at her hips and of course, her chest.

"Oh hey, you're back," Belle said.

"You're tan," Robert stated, never taking his eyes off her.

Belle blushed, shrugging. "Just a little. It's a fake though."

Robert raised his brows in question. "Fake?"

Belle nodded. "Mm-hm. I tried laying at the beach first, but five minutes in I heard the word 'slut' and decided it was best to leave from there. Then I went to the backyard but found that my skin becomes more red than the brown I want. So after that, I went and purchased myself a bottle of color."

Robert chuckled. He was annoyed at the fact that someone dared call his wife a slut, but Belle was being too adorable at the moment to bring it up and ruin the light mood. "Well you're gorgeous," he told her.