Chapter 30

It was a beautiful day outside, slightly warm with the sun peaking out of the white puffy clouds up above. Belle marveled the sight of it. The sky was such a rich blue contrasting with the whites and it made Storybrooke look like the town she thought it would be when she first moved here--bright, pretty, quiet, and tranquil. Looks really can be deceiving. But both she and Robert thought that it would be nice to take a walk on the beach later. It would do some good to have some peaceful time together with all that's happened.

Robert was currently on the phone trying to set a time to see Henry again before his court date. He was arguing and sounded agitated. Belle frowned as she continued washing dishes. She didn't understand why they would make it so hard to see their grandson, even if for a short time.

"Idiot," Robert mumbled after hanging up. He seemed thoughtful.

"What is it?" Belle asked.

"It's Mr. Spenser. He's not allowing visits with the prisoners at the moment. I'm hoping Regina will clear all this up soon."

Belle smiled, hoping to brighten the mood a bit even though she felt bad as well. "Give it time honey. I'm sure we'll see him. Maybe we should catch up with Regina, see how she's doing and all."

"Yes. We can't have Mr. Jones walking around pretending to be mayor forever can we?" They both chuckled, though Robert was more bitter.

"Do you wanna stop by Granny's for lunch today? Before we head to the beach?" Belle suggested.

"Sounds wonderful." He wrapped his arms around Belle's waist and gave her sweet little cheek kisses from behind. Belle giggled. She could be very ticklish sometimes, but she was mostly pleased to have Robert do things like this to her again.

~~~~

As they got out of the car, a man in around his mid-forties approached the Golds.

"Hey there Mr. Gold. Mrs. Gold," he said, nodding in greeting.

"Mr. Hughes, how are you?" Robert asked. He turned to Belle to quickly tell her that Mr. Hughes was a tenant in the apartment he managed.

They made small talk, and Mr. Hughes made jokes about paying the rent late and so on. Then he said, "So I'm really sorry to hear about your grandson, Henry was it?"

"Oh, yes. It's been quite rough," Robert answered uncomfortably.

"Yeah it must be. I don't know what I'd do if one of my kids or grand kids turned out to be so....awful. I don't mean any offense Mr. Gold but that is just..." The man blew a whistle out of his mouth.

Robert grimaced. "Henry isn't awful."

"Oh! I mean, of course you'll want to defend him anyway, though I don't know how you could with everything he did."

"Mr. Hughes you don't even know the whole story," Belle told him.

"I think I know quite enough," Mr. Hughes said with a scoff.

"Oh you do, do you?" Robert replied with a warning hiss. Belle put a hand to his back, hoping it would keep his anger in control. She could see his knuckles were already balled into fists.

"Look Mr. Gold, everyone in town knows what happened that night. Hell, we even know what YOU did. I mean, it's a pretty big coincidence don't you think?"

"Where the hell is this conversation going?" Robert growled. "You have no right to speak to me about any of this or make accusations against my family. It's all speculation and gossip. Idiots like you can't seem to keep to themselves, always trying to make things worse than it already is. I've had enough. Now I suggest you get out of our way, or I'll simply move you aside myself."