Chapter 29

Belle stared into her book absently, occasionally turning pages but not really paying attention to any of the words. She picked up her teacup and took another sip, setting it down, then routinely turning the page yet again. So many letters, all jumbled together to create one amazing plot, yet none of it connected in Belle's mind. To her that was all it was, just a bunch of jumbled letters.

"What's wrong?" Robert asked softly. He had just come home from an uneventful day at work but he seemed worn out, as if simply standing behind the counter at a near-empty dying shop was strenuous labor. It had only been two days since their visit with Henry. Neither of them had lifted spirits. There was still a tension in the air.

Belle sighed and finally closed her book just as Robert sat on the other end of the couch. "Just thinking," she answered.

"What about?" Robert's head lay back against the cushions as he spoke.

"Everything. How's Emma doing?"

"Fine. Granny is providing them with as much comfort as she can. Or at least that's what Jones told me."

"Oh? You didn't talk with Emma?"

"No. When I called he picked up her phone."

Belle chuckled a bit. "When will you just call him Killian? You know you'll have to some time."

Robert squinted. "No."

Belle nodded, thinking that perhaps it was for the best. "No word about Henry?"

"Jones said he was ok but..."

"But? But what?"

Robert shook his head. "It's probably nothing."

"No, talk to me."

Robert looked at her, faintly surprised. "I...just get the feeling that he's....well there's just something wrong."

Belle sympathized. "Robert, of course. This is all wrong."

They sat in silence. Belle couldn't think of what to say anymore. They've rarely talked, and when they did it was usually about Henry or Emma. And those usually didn't last long. Then Robert either went upstairs or sat out on the porch, petting Sweet Pea. Belle knew he was trying to be accommodating of the space she wanted, but she wasn't used to having it like this with her husband. She missed having talks and laughs among...other things. Belle blushed at the thought. She will never forget how her husband murdered his ex, but the more time went by, the less she cared. Belle knew it was a risk, she still believed that one day he may lose his mind and hurt her, but that risk seemed...nonexistent most of the time.

Some nights, Belle guiltily found herself dreaming of Robert doing exactly what he had done to Milah, except...the person under him wasn't Milah, and it wasn't even Belle herself. It was a tall, dark haired man dressed in his signature black leather jacket and dark pants. The man seemed handsome from afar, but as she got closer, he would smile, and it was a disgusting, twisted smile that Belle came to loathe. Belle couldn't move as her bright eyes locked with his deep darker ones. She was helpless as this man lay kisses on her lips, cheeks, and neck, down to her collarbone, slowly removing inches of her nightgown until she was completely bare in front of him.

Her cheeks flushed when she felt wetness between her legs despite her not wanting to be touched by him. The twisted grin on the man's face widened, and it scared Belle.

"Stop," Belle whispered, her eyes welling. She tried to remain brave, but all courage left her when his hand slipped between her legs.

"Get away!" she yelled. Why couldn't she move her legs? Why was every part of her body so heavy?