Chapter 1*

THUMP!

You blink, startled. Looking around, you remember why you're here: to enroll into a new high school....thousand of miles away from home.

"There you go, (L/N)."

The desk lady hands over your class schedule with a small smile, glasses down on her nose. You curtly nodded, leaving as quickly as possible. It's 7:55, and school starts at 8- back in England school started at nine. NINE! Americans aren't particularly regarded as smart, so what's with the focus on starting bright and early?

You try not to make a face, but as you look down, there is a class schedule, but also papers and papers of god knows what. Sure, you can read it, yet most of it is just ramblings about rules and dress codes- as if you hadn't been forwarded an email about them already? You sigh, starting in middle of the school year was surely the worst idea ever to be had.

And, unfortunately, being fast to class, was the worst idea ever to be had, too. You plowed, face first, into another person. A tall boy, to be precise. Stark blonde hair and black sunglasses on his head, pushing back his spiky hair.

But unlike you, stumbled back in shock, he just walks by you- like nothing had even touched him. Scoffing, you keep walking, but this time, not fully focused on reading the extra papers, making sure to keep an eye out: this school might have a bumping-into-one-another problem.

Or perhaps it's just the boy. Some peoples' lack of attention these days! Sure, you had the inkling, the temptation, to follow the boy and confront him about it, but first impressions were extremely important- espically with your certain....situation.

Lost in thought again, you almost pass by your locker. Digging your heels into the ground, you turn around and march back to the blue metal box that you know you won't be using the entire time you're here. Which, hopefully, isn't long. You already had a bad feeling about this high school, and you'd be asking dad to move, as soon as possible.

DING!

Your eyes widen, and maybe your little pit-stop at the locker you'll never use was a bad idea. You walk down the hallway, already had memorized where everything is, and where your classes are. Again, it's important to make good impressions, and already you're failing at making a good one. Perhaps more on the side of the 'ditzy new girl' now.

011. You stop, and put a hand on the knob. The wooden door with a small window cut-out opens with a small push. The chatter within the room of students who know each well, far into the year and comfortable, hush completely. Even the teacher who is quietly taking attendance looks up at the silence. His eyes focus on you, narrowing. You almost let out a groan; you never liked literature anyways, and maybe, this class will just be the one you'll have to lay low in.

You cleared your throat, managing a little smile, "hello."

"Hello," the teacher hesitantly nods. "Are you lost?"

"No?" You tilt your head, confused. "Do I look lost?"

By now, whispers and looks start. From where you are at the front, all the way in the door-frame, you barely can make out their words- their thoughts on the new girl. You doubt they even knew there was going to be a new girl. Lovely.

"I'm (L/N). (Y/N) (L/N)."

Like a lit-up lightbulb, the teacher's eyes go back down to his sheet, scanning, before he takes his pen up again, checking what you can only assume is your name, "ah yes. Sorry about that. I guess it slipped my mind. Take a seat where there's one open. I'm making a new seating chart soon, anyways, so don't worry about where you sit."

Without another look, you turn to face the rest of the class. Eyes glancing over each head before you find a seat open in the back. Your feet start towards it before you register that the boy you ran into sat in the seat beside it. And these desks were duo seats...damn.

But the despite the innate worry, nothing happened. He didn't turn to you, he didn't even look in your direction, arms crossed, legs out and slumped into his chair. And just like that, the day passes within a snap of your fingers.

You stand in front of your house. You look around, side to side, up and down. Taking everything in, and you wonder how the day can end just like that. With your books in your arms, you crouch, contemplating life before you go into your new house and talking to your parents. So much happened today, yet so little. Well, not enough to fully grasp your attention to where you had thought about it.

In the sunny day, a shadow blocks the light. You turn to look at the sun, but find a dude towering over you. You squint, but can't make out anything about him, the brightness too much around him, blocking your view.

You bring a hand over your eyes, "Whaa-?"

He smiles, sunglasses over his eyes, "Hey."

"Would you mind not blocking my day?" you ask.

"I'm Dirk Strider."

"Okay, and?" You nod. "What does that have to do anything with my request? Or do you just want to be annoying?"

He shrugs, "Probably wanna be annoying."

"What do you mean 'probably'?"

"I dunno. Saw you staring down this 'ole house, so I wanted to introduce myself- if you're new to the neighborhood, knew this house was for sale and all. But if you aren't-"

"I'm (Y/N)."

"Nice, so are you new-?"

A shout cuts him off, coming from across the street, "yo, bro! What you doing over there?"

You stand up, straightening your jacket. Looking over your shoulder, seeing the same boy you sat next to during literature waving over to Dirk. They look identical. But Dirk, obviously the older brother, but you couldn't place his age exactly- just that he looks more mature with defined jaw and shoulder pushes back in confidence. You have to admit, he is awfully handsome.

You can't see Dirk's expression under his sunglasses, "See you later."

But with those words, he is off. Did I fall for him? Probably. He's cute. You look back to your house's stairs, cheek aflame.

**edited, 2023

(For readers rereading, and for those who are new, I am going back a SECOND time to EDIT, so some will have **edited, 2023, and some will have *edited. Just know that I edited this back in 2018, and finished in 2016.)