Chapter Twenty Three

The girls received a phone call from Ken saying that Toni hasn't been feeling well due to her pregnancy. Nothing major, but Toni isn't excited and she's feeling fatigued. This dinner for Toni is taking a week of planning.

Traci, Towanda, Trina, and Tamar meet at the Edmonds residence, and Toni is out with Ava, Peyton, Denim, and Diezel. The girls and Ken sit around the dining room table.

"Hey brother in law." Tamar said. Ken individually hugged each of his sisters. They all sat down and Trina served everyone a martini.

"Face, you're drinking?" Towanda asked. He gulped down the whole martini before the girls started. They all laughed and began planning.

"This is more of a family affair, so I wanted a nice backyard dinner with all the lights hanging, pretty flower centerpieces on the table, and all of the nieces and nephews to be present." Ken said. Each of the girls took notes in their notebook.

"How are we going to plan this around Toni? You know she's good when it comes to finding out about surprises." Traci asked.

"She does have a point there, we gotta figure out how to secretly plan this without Toni behind around us." Trina said.

"I was thinking maybe Mommy and Toni should spend a few days together in New York. I'll tell Mommy what's going on, and she won't tell Toni." Towanda said.

"That seems like a great idea, Umba. I was thinking of inviting her father and his wife." Ken said. Tamar sipped her martini while raising her finger in the air.

"Is this a dinner or a funeral? It's best if it's just Daddy alone, because Lord knows we don't want any drama." Trina said.

"The father alone it is. But I want you guys to collect photos you have of Toni, before she became Toni the Braxton, and before she married me." Ken said. The girls nodded their heads.

"One more thing, I want you each to have a speech about her, two minute limit, thanks." Ken smiled.

"He threw shade." Towanda said.

"You tried my life, Kenneth." Tamar said. Ken laughed and put on his shades.

"You REALLY tried it." Traci laughed. Ken shook his head and laughed. Toni and the kids walked back in the house. The girls were getting up, ready to leave.

"Hey girls, hey honey." Toni said.

"Hey." The girls said in unison. The sisters looked suspicious and they left. Ken laughed to himself and he got up to enter the kitchen.

"What's going on?" Toni asked. Ken didn't make any eye contact.

"Just hanging with my sisters, talking." Ken said. Toni folded her arms across her chest.

"Talking about what?" Toni asked. Ken sighed and ignored Toni's question. She walked up to him and interrupted him from washing the dishes.

"I know you hear me. What were you guys talking about?" Toni asked once again. Ken looked at Toni and smiled.

"We're planning a family vacation, happy?" Ken asked while throwing the sponge in the sink. He left Toni in the kitchen by herself. Ken enters the bedroom on his phone, texting the girls more about the details of the dinner. He lays down on the bed.

"Sorry for jumping down your throat, I just wanted to know what was going on." Toni said. Ken was texting Trina about BarChix.

"It's cool." Ken said while not breaking eye contact from his phone's screen. Toni became a little irritated.

"You are cheating on me." Toni said. Ken threw his phone on the bed, and looked at Toni. This time he was pissed off.

"Toni, this pregnancy brain and hormones has really taken over, hasn't it? Stop assuming the worst because you're really making an ass out of yourself. I am not cheating on you and I never will. Marriage is built on trust and love, yet you sound like you don't even trust me to begin with. I don't know why you married me, if you think I keep cheating on you, if I'm texting or tired. I am a busy man, Toni. I've got a family to worry about, I've got my career that I need to focus on, and I've got you who is number one on my priorities list." Ken said.

"Then maybe we should call it quits, if you don't want me." Toni said. Ken rolls his eyes and stands up in front of Toni.

"I do want you. I'm just planning this family vacation for your needs because you're so stressed and tired. It's like you're so unhappy being pregnant with this baby." Ken said.

"I'm happy that we're having this baby, but I'm so unhappy that I'm not happy. Being pregnant with Ava was totally different, but this baby I don't know. I'm sorry for assuming." Toni said. Ken wrapped his arms around her and kissed her head.