chapter 28

--Riddler’s POV—

I hung up the phone. How in the world did she manage to successfully leave the property without the sensors notifying me? Why’d she leave in the first place?

“Katrina… she’ll be alright Harley.” I could hear the Joker and girls trying to comfort a now hysterical Harley Quinn.

“She’s going to be perfectly okay.” I walked over and smiled to her. “She’ll be wondering where everyone is when she wakes up, but she’ll be fine.” I promised the little clown girl and she stopped crying new tears.

There really was nothing for us to do right now except wait.

About an hour went by with no word and I started to get edgier every second. Was she okay? How badly was she hurt? I was going to kill whoever rigged her bike. I had started pacing and Selina walked up to me.

“You said so yourself, she’s going to be fine. Crane’s got her and he knows what he’s doing.” She put a hand on my shoulder, trying to calm me down. “Or you can send her to a hospital where the cops and the Bat will take her.” She shrugged walking away. That possibility, it was out of the question. I would not allow her to be taken from me. I had, after all, just taken her from somebody else. I looked around to see that everyone was slightly jumpier or kept checking the door and phone more often. I don’t know what that girl did to us, but we all loved her. She was perfectly serious and sane when she needed to be while other times she just had fun and was a huge tease. She wasn’t that amazing at cooking but that was expected. I smiled as I thought about how yesterday she nearly burned down the entire building trying to make eggs.

“Leave me alone I got this.” She had told us all stubbornly. We all had the fire extinguishers ready and just when things were looking really bad she turned off the stove and walked away. “Make your own breakfast.” She called from her room.

That was just the type of person she was and I loved her. Don’t get me wrong, I love my riddles too and to tell you the truth, it’s honestly a struggle sometimes as to which I love more. The door to the garage opened up and everyone’s heads snapped up. Harvey was walking in with Jonathan behind him. Joker tried to do his best to keep Harley occupied when we saw Johnny boy’s previously white shirt was now dark red in many places.

“What is all of that from?!” Harley ran over to him screaming. He frowned at bit and walked past her, grabbing my arm and dragging me into his lab.

“Well that wasn’t very nice of you.” I said while fixing my shirt he had wrinkled whilst dragging me here.

“You don’t get it do you Ed?” he seethed at me, his hands in fists. “Do you know why she went away today?”

“I have no idea. She said something about how I was in a mood or something.” I glared at him. How dare he blame this on me!

“Okay, so if you weren’t throwing a fit this morning after you found out about the recording what were you doing?” he hissed at me. I stepped back furrowing my brow.

“I was sleeping…” I said causing John’s jaw to slack.

“You were what?” he asked in a daze.

“I. Was. Sleeping.” I repeated slower.

“And you didn’t hear Katrina knocking on your door, telling you she was going out?” he asked highly confused.

“I heard knocking. But I ignored it.” I said slowly realizing what happened. I hadn’t necessarily left in the best of moods but I just wanted sleep. Two days ago Katrina and I had gotten in an argument and when I went to my room to cool off she got on her motorcycle and rode around for an hour or two. It let her calm down as well as me. But she never once left the property. She must have thought it was going to be a day like that again and rode off.