permission

permission

his pov

eth: i followed y/n's brother into the living room, "do you want to play?" he asked holding up a controller. i looked at the screen, shaking my head in response as i sat down. he nodded and turned the tv off, sitting on the couch with me as we waited for y/n's dad to walk into the room.

"ethan!" he said shocked that i was waiting in the living room. "what a nice surprise! where's y/n?" he asked and i stood up, wiping the sweat off the palm of my hands.

"she's at home, see i wanted to talk to you two alone," i said and they nodded encouraging me to continue. "okay, i love your daughter – sister – she means the world to me. i believe she's the one, the one who i am ready to spend the rest of my life with. she understands me and loves me for who i am and long story short, i came here today to ask permission for her hand in marriage," i finished my proposal.

her brother stood up from the couch, he walked over to me and smiled, "i give you my permission," he said pulling me into a hug. "just remember what i told you when you two first started dating," he said and i laughed slightly.

"i promise i will," i said, then turning my attention to her dad who sat silently, staring at the floor.

he stood up, "ethan," he started. i could feel my heart racing scared with his answer, "i give you permission to marry my daughter," he finally said as he stood up and pulled me into a hug.

"thank you so much, you have no idea how relieved i am," i said pulling away and forcing a laugh.

"take care of her."

gray: i sat outside in the backyard, taking a sip of the tea that y/n's mom had made. It was an awkward silence, nobody knowing what to say. her mom let out a sigh, "so grayson, you said you wanted to talk about y/n," her mom said.

i cleared my throat, placing the tea cup down on the glass table, "yes," i started gripping my knees as i was getting nervous. "um recently i've come to a realization that y/n is the woman i would want to spend the rest of my life with. she's perfect in ways you can't even imagine and she's everything. You two are very important to her and i feel you're an important part in this," i said, both of her parents' faces laced with confusion.

"have us in what exactly?" her dad asked and i took in a deep breath, exhaling it slowly.

"i would like to have y/n's hand in marriage. i'm ready to spend the rest of my life with her, she's the love of my life," i said and they looked at each other. "if you need a few moments to discuss this, i can just go inside," i said getting ready to stand up.

"no, you're fine," her mom said and i relaxed back into my chair. "we give you our permission to marry our daughter," she said and i smiled.

my hand ran through my hair, "this is great! thank you guys, really!" i said getting up and hugging them.

"welcome to the family grayson," her dad said as he pulled me into a hug.