Chapter 10 | Cotton Candy Smacks

"Down to earth, it's like I'm frozen but the world still turns,
Stuck in motion but the wheels keep spinning around,
Moving in reverse with no way out."
- Infinity, One Direction.

Chapter Dix : Cotton Candy Smacks

I played around with my food as the fork kept striking the plate, making annoying noises. My appetite had vanished, even though I hadn't had breakfast. My thoughts were circling around my dad, his appearance this morning. How did he find us?

Two years ago my mom sent me to Bordeaux to start a new life, giving me a fresh start. But I didn't want to go without her. She insisted that everything is okay and she'll be fine, but I knew otherwise. Albeit Bordeaux was beautiful, I found myself becoming more of an introvert, memories rushing into my head at the sight of everything. Teens smoking, drinking, kids playing, everything.

She wanted me away from Dad, afraid he would do something again. He is the reason behind all our worries. And I kept my distance, not until I got a call one day that mom had a severe heart attack and was admitted to the hospital.

When I got here, I was told that she'd experienced many mini-attacks that she didn't bring to light to anyone, not even me. We talked on the phone almost everyday and she never told me any of this. That's when I realised how selfish I'd been and never noticed the pain she harboured. No mother would ever want that to happen to their daughter, no lady would want to go through the pain she did. And there I was in Bordeaux, lala-ing that I was safe.

When she wasn't.

'That's right, hate yourself.'

Shut up, brain.

'Obnoxious girl. It's your fault everything happened.'

Tell me something I don't know.

'And now you're endangering the lives of people around you, when all they did was just communicate with you.'

I FUCKING KNOW, ALRI-

"Ground control to Major Black." A hand waved in front of me as I blinked rapidly, becoming conscious of my surroundings. Just minutes ago, only Irene and I sat opposite to each other in the canteen table and now Ashton was seated next to me, wearing an expression of confusion.

"Whew, I thought you were dead or something." He blew out a sigh as relief washed over his face. Irene still looked at us warily.

"She does that a lot." She said nonchalantly.

"What? No, I don't!" I protested and recomposed myself, remembering that they don't know each other. "Anyways, Irene, this be Ashton and Ashton, Irene."

He smiled at her and I swear I saw her blush. Well, his cobalt blue eyes had such a power. I felt kind of uneasy and finally shoved some peas into my mouth. "Care to tell me what went down back there?" He leaned in near my ear.

"I don't know. Apparently I had a panic attack."

"You say that as if it is something that happens everyday. And you don't seem too shaken about it."

"It is som-", I stopped myself before revealing anything more,"No, I feel okay now, so I don't see any reason to be anxious or worried."