Chapter 24 | Put On Your War Paint

"So we can take the world back from the heart-attacked
One maniac at a time we will take it back."
- The Phoenix, Fall Out Boy.
● ● ● ● ●
Chapter Vingt-quatre : Put On Your War Paint

"I regret a lot."

"Like?"

"I just wish I hadn't done some things and wasn't such a coward."

"What do you mean?"

"I am a really bad person, Andrea."

"Why do you say so?"

"The things I've done.... it's too rough. I've sinned a lot."

"What were they?"

"Hey, come on! You've been badgering me with questions now! It's your turn."

Ash and I were laying as usual in the soft brown sand. We'd started bringing blankets and tiny snacks with us too now. I was getting bored, I mean I did enjoy getting some time free, just to think, but it's hard when it's with someone who's a complete mystery to you.

And it keeps itching me why Ash is the way he is. So I suggested that we can play a game, in which we can ask each other questions and have to answer truthfully. Upon his agreement, I had shot him with the first question — what he regretted the most in his life — which he didn't answer completely.

He now took a moment to think of a question for me, before he quietly breathed. "What's your guilty pleasure?"

"Huhhhh? I can't tell you that!" I almost squealed at him.

"Whoa, this is your game. You have to." He stuck his tongue out at me and turned sideways so we're facing each other.

"Well...", I paused, drawing in a huge amount of air,"Sometimes, I bury myself in bed with a jar of Nutella, and listen to Kellin Quinn's screams. I guess it kind of relieves me? And I can mellow in my infatuation with his voice coupled with chocolate."

"Kellin Quinn? The lead singer of Sleeping With Sirens? The dude who looks like a girl?", he controlled his cackling,"Out of all the fucking people!" And he let loose, the sweet sound of his laughter pouring out like the water in the sea.

I rolled my eyes but my smile didn't falter. "Okay, your turn, what's your relation with Jace?" I changed the topic as smooth af.

"Well, he's my step brother. I'm from my mother's first marriage, and Jace from her second. But yes, I live alone, because of certain disagreements. " He stated simply, inviting no more questions, not that it stopped me.

"Wait, is he a year younger than us?"

"Technically, two years younger. But his father had him conveniently skip first grade to second, because he didn't like his teachers. " We were both sitting cross legged now on the cashmere blanket.

I was going to open my mouth to say something but was interrupted by a loud crash in a shed nearby. There was a warehouse right at the top of the beach, which was usually abandoned. But now, the door was half open, a light flickering inside and hushed voices.

On concentrating my sight more, I realised that it was Jace and Miss Junior Whore.

"Speak of the devil!" I threw my hands up aghast and slapped my face against it. "Why can't they take their business, to I don't know, a room?"