Chapter 30 | C'est La Vie

"You tell me that you need me then you go and cut me down, but wait
You tell me that you're sorry, didn't think I'd turn around, and say
'It's too late to apologize'."
- Apologize, One Republic.
● ● ● ● ●
Chapter Trente : C'est La Vie

*Back To Present : When Andrea Confronts Julianne In The Girl's Room*

I was at a loss for words as the harsh memory trickled into my mind. God, what kind of a person was I?

Sorry. Sorry. I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you, I'm sorry I wasn't more understanding, I'm sorry I didn't stick with you, I'm sorry I didn't let you help me, I'm sorry I didn't choose you over everything else.

But nothing came out, except the mere five letter word.

"I-I'm sorry."

It came out more like a croak, the ones which sound like you're being choked around your neck and you're struggling hard to breathe. My head was feeling blue, like all the air was cut off from my lungs.

Annie probably did not expect that, as her posture faltered just the tiniest bit. I mean, she obviously thought I would apologise, but it kind of had this heaviness to it. I heard it too and was surprised beyond words. It was filled with I don't know...longing? Desperation?

She said nothing.

Nor did I.

We both stood there, saying just nothing.

The sorry hung in the air, weighing down on us like a horrible, black cloud. And it was cold.

She opened her mouth to finally speak when the door swung open. A brunette walked in, giggling to other girls behind her, who weren't yet visible. She halted as soon as she saw us, especially when her eyes locked with Annie.

Annie raised just an eyebrow. Whoa, since when could she do that? I remember how we were sitting in her backyard one day making weird faces as we tried to access the nerve which controls that eyebrow.

That was enough to mum the girls and out.

We returned back to our little cold, staring silent match when the door swung open again, harder in fact.

Oh, for the love of —

Astonishingly, it wasn't any other girl. It was the last person I expected to be here. With his steely demeanour, with his Nutella-coloured eyes, he literally crashed into me.

"The fuck is going on here?" Jay swore. Ooo and guess what he did?

Gripped my wrists tightly.

Of course. Signature Jayden Smith move. He should probably learn some more from The Karate Kid.

He held me back in a defensive manner, although I was completely fine, because isn't that what they do in the movies? Oh, protect the poor, poor damsel.

"I said, what is going on?" He directed this to Annie, who finally started returning to normal. However, she completely ignored him. Instead, she gazed at me.

"Why didn't you tell me that before?" She said in a whisper. "We could've fixed everything."

I shook my head and turned my attention to the tiles on the wall. I hate to look people in the eye when I'm so weak and vulnerable. "It doesn't matter anymore. What you did right now, is far beyond repair. You showed everyone the photo."