Chapter 15 | The Possum Ran Away

"So gather all the rebels now, we'll rebel-rouse and sing aloud
We don't care what they say no way, no way."
- Wild Things, Alessia Cara.
● ● ● ● ●
Chapter Quinze : The Possum Ran Away

It was exactly 10:53 and Irene kept shaking her leg under the table in anticipation. For the past twenty minutes she's been ignoring me, pretending to not have heard me or asking me to repeat myself. I know she's waiting for eleven.

In this interval, I noticed a pissed off Jayden enter the café and order a mocha, scowling at Zach's cheeriness. He plopped down on a table next to us, still oblivious to our presence. I took this time to check him out, he looked too damn perfect in his black tee and dirty blue jeans. His brown eyes gazed out of the café in an unnatural wonder.

"Oh, look, there's Jayden!" Irene jolted me out of my creepy staring moment. I acted as if I'd not seen him there earlier,"Really, where?"I spun my head around the place pretending to search for him and stopped again at the table next to us.

"Jayden! Hey!" She called him over gleefully, waving like a maniac. For one second he didn't pay heed to her invitation, and then suddenly he jerked out of his reverie. Something flashed in his eyes, like they were immersed in a deep thought and he quickly covered it up with a tiny smile.

Jay strode to us, enough to make anyone swoon, well except me. Not till he looked directly at me and his full lips curved up in a warm smile. "I hope you girls are having a wonderful morning."

"Well, I am, but party pooper over here-" She paused, pointing at me,"- has some weird infatuation with her home and wants to leave this moment."

"It's fair to say that I'm not the only one with an infatuation." I grinned deviously, briefly glancing at Zach who was coincidentally looking at our direction. More precisely, at Irene. She blushed and smacked my left arm a little bit too hard,"Shut up!"

"Save the kinky violence for the honeymoon, will you?" I teased and she rolled her eyes, muttering something under her breath.

We'd forgotten Jay's presence and he just stood there, chuckling at our banter.

"IT IS ELEVEN, YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHSSS!" Irene squealed loudly all of a sudden, grabbing everyone's attention, to which she responded with a mind-your-own-goddamn-business.

"So?"

"Soooooo, I'm going out for a while with Zach."

"You're ditching me?"

"Shit! I totally forgot." Wow, I have such a caring and amazing friend.

"Please please please please can you wait for just half an hour over here, I'll come back and pick you up?" She went almost on her knees. What the hell will I do here?

"No. Take me home, right now. You should've thought about that before!"

"Pleeeaaassseeeee, ReRe! It's been long since I've been out with any guy. This means a lot to me, really." I chuckled at the nickname she just created. I think she would've called me Andy, but the last time she did, I right out shut her down.

"But what if you're late?" I wavered from my decision a bit, but needed her guarantee.

"Hey, Jayden is here. He'll drop you off, right?" She looked at Jayden expectantly.