Chapter 55, "For Esther"

Six hundred years ago, everything was written by hand and manuscripts were precious. Johannes Gutenberg changed all that with his creation and was named the most influential person of the las millennium, for the principal reason that without his creation, most people wouldn't have reached the celebrity and the notoriety they received. He was considered at the precursor of the age of the industrial information which followed the person who was principally responsible for the transfer of knowledge, so the potential power, from there less rich of masses... Which makes that without him, news wouldn't travel so fast and wouldn't spread like wildfire.

The headline news were talking about Princess Candice, who became an actress, who left the reception to go look for her lover Dr. Terrence Andrew at St. Joan's hospital of Chicago.

"It seems that the young doctor has been her lover for years, even when she was still married to Prince Andrea... It's even because of him if they have divorced... Terrence Andrew was a young intern when the "Chicago's hero" story broke, Esther Baker was then two years old and he had taken care of her and they had become very close. Princess Candice came to see her mother and her sister and that's how she met the young doctor... But she was with her husband during that visit, that didn't stop her from succumbing to temptation..."

Another paper had dug up more dirt...

"It seems that Princess Candice so brilliant on stage, was living a double life while married to the prince... When she was in school, she was dating a young boy named Terrence Andrew, son of billionaire, Whilemina Andrew... They got back together when they saw each other again back in Chicago after the "Chicago's hero" story, which eventually caused the end of her marriage to the prince. She didn't run to her lover right away, she's more subtle than that, she took her time and she patiently waited to get to Chicago with her theatrical troupe. After the play, there was a reception... and from there, she ran to the hospital to see him, where he had to go after the play for an emergency. The princess had sent him an invitation and pass to come and see her... She came back with her lover and they went directly to her suite, without passing by the reception... Dr. Andrew didn't leave the hotel, he spent the night there...

oOoOoOoOoOo

Terry opened his eyes and he smelled the perfume of Candy's hair, which reminded him of Scotland, during those wonderful summer vacations, where he had discovered love, when he thought he couldn't have those kinds of feelings again he had them stronger than ever. He was her prince, she was his princess. He smelled her hair and he kissed her head.

- Sapphire eyes?

- Yes, my princess?

- Are you ok?

- I'm fine...

- You're in pain right?

- Those couches are very comfortable... but like a bed...

- You've waited for me Terry... I didn't want to ruin all those years of chastity...

She stood up and she stretched herself. She still had her evening gown on. She went to her room to take it off and to shower. Terry went in another room to do the same thing. He called room service and got the boutique and he ordered some clothes which he paid with his credit card. He showered and when he got out, he found the clothes on the bed. He got dressed and got out of the room.

- Terrryyy!!!Said Esther running to him, you're still here!!!

- Yes, my pretty one, said Terry taking her in his arms and kissing her on the cheeks, where is your mommy Candy?

- She's getting ready, she always takes hours...

- Is breakfast ready? Asked terry, let's go eat.

They went to sit at the table to eat. Candy got out of the room, very beautiful in her designer dress.

- Good morning everybody.

Esther got off her chair to run into her arms.

- Good morning mummy Candy! She said kissing her

- Good morning my darling, said Candy smiling

They walked together to the dining room. And she started eating, Terry was looking at her.

- You don't run to get the paper? He asked.

- I'd rather eat first, in case there's something that's going to cut my appetite..., said Candy putting food on her plate to eat.

- Good idea, said Terry smiling

Esther looked at the scene, she was smiling. She was happy! To have her mummy Candy and Terry at the table, it was wonderful, it was like she had a mummy and a daddy like all the little friends, like a normal family! She's hoping it will last... But there was knocks on the door and everybody was startled.

- Who could that be? Asked Candy

The nanny went to open the door and Marlowe almost jostled her, when he got in the room, followed by the manager of the troupe.

- What a touching scene! Said Marlowe ironically.

- Well hello to you to, Marlowe, Mr. Hathaway, said Candy

- Hello Princess, said Mr. Hathaway, sorry to bother you so early in the morning...

- You haven't read the paper Candy? Asked Marlowe

- Terry, you know Marlowe, this is Robert Hathaway, the manager of the troupe

- Mr. Hathaway, said Terry ignoring Marlowe on purpose

- Read the paper Candy!

- I don't like reading the paper while I'm eating

- You don't do two things at once, said Esther

- You're right my dear..., said Candy smiling

- Candy, you have to read the paper, insisted Marlowe

- What's going on? Did we get a bad critic on the play yesterday? Asked Candy

- No, said Mr. Hathaway, the critics were great on the play, as usual

- But not about you, said Marlowe

- About me? Said Candy, what about me? What did they say?

- Look..., said Marlowe

The nanny brought the paper to Candy. She opened her eyes wide when she read the title:

"THE PRINCESS WAS CHEATING ON THE PRINCE WITH A YOUNG AND HANDSOME DOCTOR"

- Oh my God! Said Candy outraged, but that's horrible!

- What is it? Asked Terry

She gave him the paper and he was speechless...

- Who told them something like that? Said Terry

- What is it? Asked Esther

Candy looked at the nanny.

- Come on Esther, said the nanny, let's go see the hotel daycare centre.

- Terry, you're going to be here when I come back?

- I don't think so, pretty one, said Terry

She went and gave him a big hug and a big kiss.

- I'm going to see you later?

- All right, said Terry.

She went to kiss her mummy Candy.

- See you later, mummy Candy

- See you later my dolly, said Candy kissing her back

The nanny left the suite after arranging the little one. Candy waited until the door was closed to talk. She couldn't talk in front of Esther to hear the gossip.

- Candy, you have to do something, said Marlowe

- Like what? Asked Candy, tell them it's not true?

- Is the young doctor your lover? Asked Hathaway

- I don't think that's any of your business, said Candy

- Princess, your image and your reputation affects the theatre.

- My Princess title adjusted your theatre! Said Candy.

- But what you do, also affects the theatre... unfaithful to your husband the prince...

- That's nonsense! Said Candy, I wasn't unfaithful to my husband!

- All right, said Hathaway, but you have to avoid giving them materiel

- Listen Mr. Hathaway, I haven't seen Terry in a very long time and there is no way I'm not going to stop seeing him...

- But Candy, said Marlowe, thing about what they're going to say...

- Terry and I are friends, and I don't care what people are saying and I'm not going to give them the pleasure to stop seeing a friend I haven't seen in a long time!

- All right, said Hathaway

- But Mr. Hathaway..., said Marlowe

- It's her private life, she can do whatever she wants

- I can leave the theatre and stay with Terry, said candy

Her eyes met Terry's, so full of love.

- No, that would be a disaster for the troupe! We haven't finish our tour yet, we can't replace you with your understudy... people are coming to see you! Said Hathaway

- You do know that I'm doing this job because I love acting, right? I don't need the money, I have a trust fund from my father's family and my mother's, I got my divorce settlement, that's without counting the money I made doing my movie and the plays...

- Yes, said Hathaway, we're going to leave you with your friend... come on Marlowe

- But...

- Let's go! Said Hathaway walking to the door

Marlowe followed him against his will. Terry looked at Candy.

- Are you sure it's going to be all right? He asked still with the paper in his hands

- The press knows me... even if they're saying almost the truth...

- Almost the truth?

She approached him and he stood up putting the paper on the table. He took her in his arms.

- Yes, you, you were my lover in Scotland, right?

- That's right; we haven't soiled our St. Paul's door beds...

- We were about to...

- You know, in the eyes of the Lord, intention counts as a sin?

- The Lord is hard on us. I love you Terry...

- I love you Candy

And he took her lips in a passionate kiss. They spent the day together with Esther. Terry since he was on call the day before, had two days off. He went to see Candy's play again, and he was about to see her in her dressing room this time around. The rumors and the papers continued saying nonsense, but they didn't care, they continued seeing each other.