Chapter 53"The Chicago Premiere"

On the train, while they were approaching the windy city of Chicago, Marlowe Susann continued asking questions. Princess Candice was a very beautiful woman and a very talented actress. He had fallen in love with her at first sight and he wanted her. Why was she so eager to get to Chicago? He looked at little Ester and he said to himself he might get some information from her. Children always told the truth, right? Pretending to be interested in the kid, was good. He looked at her smiling.

- You look happier than usual Esther. You've been to Chicago before?

- Yes, when I was two...

- And you like Chicago? Did you have fun?

- Mama fell and I called for help.

- That's true! I forgot! You're Chicago's little hero!

Esther burst out laughing.

- That's where I met Terry..., she continued.

- Terry? Who is Terry?

- He's the doctor who took care of mama! I lived with him! He was very nice and he was kissing two girls!

- At the same time? Said Marlowe.

- No, but one was smiling, and the other one was always sulking...

- He seems like a real Romeo, your Terry.

- He's very handsome too! You want to see his picture?

- Yes...

The little girl took her little purse and got a picture of her with Terry from her little wallet.

- You see how handsome he is?

- I see that you're beautiful

- Thank you. Since mummy Candy is not with the prince anymore, I want her to marry Terry! So I would see him everyday!

- Esther! Said Candy laughing.

- What? He's handsome Terry, isn't he? And he's nicer than the prince...

- You're right sweetie, said Candy smiling, but who told you that Terry would want to get married with me?

- He was looking at you like he was looking at me, he loves you a lot, I'm sure of it...

- But he's with another girl, said Candy.

- Yes, Tammy. He was kissing her, but he was kissing Britt too, so it was not serious.

- All right young lady. You've talked enough about grown-ups things. Sing a song now, said Candy.

- A song Terry showed me..." This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine "

Candy and the nanny started singing with her. Marlowe too and he was disappointed by Esther's story. And Candy didn't say anything when Esther said she wanted her to marry Terry... She seemed happy. Who the hell was this Terry? Esther's boyfriend, it seemed so... if only...

At the end of the song. The other members of the troupe applauded. Mr. Hathaway approached them.

- Bravo, he said to Esther, who was the headliner of the song.

- Thank you Mr. Hathaway.

- Princess Candice, I would like to speak to you.

- You don't need to call me that...

- Yes, I do. You added that title to our troupe and attracted a lot of spectators, we were sold out in all the cities. And you talent...So since were making more money thanks to you and the polls after the play proved it. So from now on, I'm taking in charge your little sister and her nanny and the suite you're paying for...

- What? But Mr. Hathaway, I can take care of it. I don't want any special favours...

- It's to reward you... You made us a lot of money..., he said Hathaway.

The other actors were first surprised to learn that Candy was paying for the nanny and her little sister, then to see that Mr. Hathaway now doing what they accused him of doing.

"Let your lies become true! " Said Candy smiling in her head.

- Thank you, Mr. Hathaway.

- You're very welcome. Keep up the good work. Susann, thanks to you too, yout chemistry with Candy on stage is very good...

Hathaway went back to sit, next to his wife and other person responsible of the theatre.

- Well, I didn't expect that! Said Candy smiling.

- You can thank your talent, said Marlowe.

- What, my princess title didn't really attract more people to the theatre? Said Candy joking.

- I think you're the best, princess or not! Said Esther.

- Thank you sweetie! Said Candy hugging her.

She started singing and everybody sang along, until they got to Chicago.

Candy didn't stay with Esther, she'd rather be with the other actors of the troupe, while the nanny and Esther would leave the train station discreetly and get a taxi to the hotel. The luggage would come with the troupe.

The trip with the troupe took a little more time, because they were old out everywhere and they were added a few more shows, to a certain point... It was good for the money, but Candy needed to get to Chicago faster.

There were a lot of fans at the train station and the troupe had trouble walking throught them and guards were preventing the fans from approaching them too much. Especially Princess Candice, everybody was yelling to get her attention, everybody was curious to see her, and she was the reason they were going to the theatre to see her on stage.

Once at the hotel and in her suite, she did a big :

- PHEW!

- Are you ok, mummy Candy?

- I'm fine... how are you?

- I'm fine. Can we call Terry?

- He must be at work...

- So can we go see him at work?

- I'm going to send him an invitation for the play...

- But I'll be asleep, said Esther sadly.

- If you have your snack and take a long nap, you could stay up later and you could see Terry later...

- Ok mummy Candy, I'm going to eat and sleep now to see you Terry later... what if I'm too tired?

- You will see him tomorrow then, we will go and see him at the hospital...

- I want to see him today... you can't call him?

- I don't have his number... Here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to send him a ticket and a pass, that way he will be able to come and see us in my dressing room after the play or during the break.

- Ok, said Esther.

Room service arrived with the food. Esther ate and then she went to bed for her went to the theatre with a taxi to get a ticket and a pass for Terry. The other actors were there to test the scene and the lights to make sure everything was fine. Marlowe saw Candy and walked to her.

- Candy? What are you doing here?

- I came to get a pass for a friend...

- Esther's Terry?

- Yes, Esther's Terry, said Candy smiling.

- Be careful, he's going to seduce you too...

Candy walked away. She managed to get a pass and a ticket for the theatre. She wrote a little note to Terry and went back to the hotel. She went to the reception and asked for them to send the envelope to St. Joan's hospital.