Chapter 66 "The search"

Henry T. Cumberland had hired a private investigator from England, in America to find the son he had with Lissa. Ever since his mother told him what she had done, he hasn't slept. He spent his time calling his associates in America to help him with his quest. And Lissa, he had learned she had come back from her trip tonight. He had to go see her to talk to her. So he was getting ready to go out and look for Lissa. He rang at her door and he rang and he spent a while in front of the door of the house where she was living, not too far from Hyde Park, opened. It was her in the flesh, not the maid...

- Oh my God! Henry!

- Good evening Cinderella.

- What are you doing here?

- I came to talk to you

- How long it took you to decide yourself?

- Cinderella, please...

- Don't you have a wife waiting for you?

- I'm not married...

- Ah! What a surprise! I thought your father was going to marry you quickly so you could have a worthy family!

- Cinderella, please

- What are you doing here?

- Can I come in?

She looked at him... she let him in.

- Thanks Cinderella, he said coming in.

They walked together to the living room. They sat on the couch...

- It's nice here... I'm happy you've accomplished your dream...

- My dream was not only to become a doctor, I also wanted a family...

- That's why I'm here...

- Why? You let your family mistreat me...

- I was taken by surprise like you... the one who squealed on us did not do us any favours. My father was able to ruin everything...

- With your mother's help...

- I know, she took our child

- How do you know that?

- Her mission was to make you have an abortion, but she couldn't kill her grandson...

- You know it's a boy? She said with tears in her eyes...

- My father came to ask me for the thousandth time to get married to assure his succession... I told him I had a family that he took away from me... we started arguing, then my mother intervene... to tell us that she didn't make you have an abortion, but she had taken the baby and sent it to America...

- Oh my God! Said Lissa crying

- I'm have an investigator looking for him in America

- America is so big and populated...

- We are going to find our boy and make the family we wanted...

- And what if he doesn't want to come with us? What if he won't forgive us?

- Cinderella, we'll cross that bridge when we get there...

- What did you come to do here, Henry?

- I came to see if you were free to have dinner with me tonight...

- I beg your pardon?

- Cinderella, we are going to find our soon, you're single and me too...

- You're pretty arrogant to assume...

- My mother kept her eye on you...

- What? She had no right!

- You're the mother of her grandchild

- She still took my baby, while I was begging her not to do it, said Lissa Crying

- That was cruel of her, I admit that, but our son is alive!

- Why now?

- Why not now? "The moment given by chance is better than the chosen moment"

- What is that? A Chinese proverb?

- I like the wisdom of Chinese proverbs...

- All those years, you never came to see me...

- I'm sorry about that. I didn't know what to tell you... I thought my parents had managed to get rid of our baby by making you have an abortion... I was ashamed to be a part of the upper class with horrible parents... I wanted you to have a chance, to start over and have a family...

- I concentrated on my studies and I took care of my family after I finished school. I was able to pay for my brothers and sister's school and give a good life to my parents

- What about yourself?

- Without my baby and without you, I didn't feel ready to start my life over, she said looking down

- You didn't want to have your own children?

- Yes, but... I thought I would adopt later...

- What about your love life?

- My first attempt at a love life completely traumatised me for good... I only thought about my work...

- You have to think about yourself...

- What about you, why aren't you married?

- Because I didn't want to please my father like that

- He was right, we're not from the same circle... I was the help...

- You were a human being, you were working to earn a living, which is already a lot better than those flaky women who only think about spending my money!

- I don't need your money Henry

- I know that... you have your own money... even when you were poor, you didn't take my money...

- I'd rather earn my own money, I don't like to depend on other people's money, except for the good causes...

- Really? Why didn't you call me back when I called you about making a donation

- You were making a donation because you knew me, not for my cause.

- How could you be sure? You didn't give me the chance to explain myself

- Tell me that you wanted to make a donation wasn't a way for you to get in touch with me...

He smiled...

- You are right... I came to ask you if you want to have dinner with me...

- You really want to go out with me?

- I liked you back in the days, that hasn't changed...

- Why should I say yes?

- Because I know you still like me too, I can feel it...

- Stop it!

- What?

- You're really asking me out?

- Does that seem so incredible to you? We were together when we were young weren't we? We were close...

- Yes, we made a baby...

- I wonder what he looks like

Lisa had the image of a young man in her mind... Terry! No, that was ridiculous! Why on earth was she thinking about Terry?

- He must be very handsome, she said thinking about Terry, very likeable with the American accent...

- We have a foreign son...

- He must look like me, so he must be a doctor, like me...

- Really? He can't look like a philanthropist and business man?

- If it pleases you to imagine him like you...

- You can come and have dinner with me so we can talk about our son?

- Oh Henry, she said moved to tears, our son is alive! I can't wait to find him!!!

He hugged her, he was as moved as her.

- Me too my pretty one!

He knew they wouldn't be able to catch up the lost years... but he was hoping for a better relationship with his unknown son, than the one he has with his father,. They went to an expensive restaurant in London, to eat and talk.