Trust

Relaxation. That was the only thing on Katy's mind as she entered her apartment after her shift at work. She sighed to herself and tossed her purse and keys onto the counter. “Hey, honey.” Shawn said. He walked up to her, giving her a quick kiss on the lips. “How was work?

“Tiring.” was all Katy could say. Now 12 weeks along, the pregnancy was definitely making her more tired than usual, but she had made a promise to herself that she would continue working until she absolutely couldn't anymore, which basically meant, until she gave birth. Shawn didn't agree with this, but there really wasn't anything he could say or do once Katy had made up her mind on something.

Katy exhaustedly dragged herself to the bedroom when she noticed a large box leaning up against the front of the bed. She took a closer look and realized it was a brand new crib topped with a shiny silver bow. This was completely unexpected, so the woman wasn't quite sure how to react. She ended up going with her first reaction; anger.  She pushed the box out to the living room in front of Shawn who was seated on the couch.

“What the hell is this?” snapped Katy.

Shawn, taken aback by her attitude, slowly answered “This..is a crib, Katy. You know..the thing our new baby will need to sleep in?”

“Don't be cute with me, Shawn Patrick Hunter. I know what it is. What I'm asking is why?” This is a really nice crib, Shawn. I know it wasn't cheap. I thought we agreed to get a more affordable priced one from a Goodwill or some place like that.”

“Yeah, well, I decided not to do that. My baby deserves better” replied Shawn.

You decided, huh? Without discussing it with me?” said Katy.

“Honestly, I thought you'd be happy. Guess I was wrong.” Shawn said, putting up his hands in defeat.

“If we were in a better situation financially, I would be. But you know we need to be careful with money right now, with all the other expenses that will go into having this baby, not to mention rent, utilities, groceries..” Katy ranted. “Do you want us to not have a decent meal? Do you want the lights cut off? I know I sure don't..”

“Obviously not, Katy. And guess what? You don't have to worry about any of that because me buying this crib will not affect the rent or anything else being paid. You should know me well enough to know that I'm the last person who would ever be reckless with money.” said Shawn.

“So where did the money for the crib come from then?” Katy asked, crossing her arms.

“Let's see, last time I checked, I wasn't just some bum on a couch. I actually had a pretty decent job as a professional photographer.” said Shawn, his tone laced with sarcasm.

“I know you have money. What I'm saying is, that money could've been put towards something we actually need.” replied Katy.

“Okay but we do need the crib.” Shawn interjected.

“You know what? Forget it, Shawn. You obviously don't get the point so I'm done.” she yelled. Katy’s eyes started to sting as she felt the tears falling.

She tried to run off to the bedroom, when Shawn stopped her with a hand on her shoulder. “Katy Grace, don't you walk away from me when we're talking. I thought we promised to never do that?”

That was the moment that finally caused her to break down in tears. She pulled away and ran to sit on the bed, her face buried in her hands. Coming to the realization that her and Shawn were having their first real fight, she cried even harder.

“Sweetheart, it's okay. Calm down, the stress isn't good for the baby, remember? Shhh. It's alright.” said Shawn in a soothing tone. He sat down next to his wife on the bed and put his arm around her. The man gently pulled Katy's hands from her face so she'd look at him. He kissed her cheek. “I love you.” he said.

Katy sniffled, still shaking, but she was beginning to calm down. “I- I love you, too.” she replied.

“You have to trust me, babe. You have to trust that I will do everything I can to provided for this family and I would never ever dream of spending money we don't have.” Shawn assured her.

“I trust you.” said Katy.

Shawn smiled lovingly at his wife. “Good. Now you go ahead and rest for as long as you need to. I'll take care of dinner.”

He held his wife close, tenderly kissing her lips before exiting the room.

-
About 20 minutes later, Maya arrived home. Shawn was in the kitchen finishing up the spaghetti he had cooked. “Hey Dad.” said Maya as she sat her backpack down and took a seat on the bar stool.

“Hey there, kiddo. How was school?” he asked.

“Fine I guess. Where's mom?” said Maya, looking around the room.

“Uhhh, she'll probably be resting for the evening. She's had a long day” said Shawn.

“Is everything okay?” Maya asked with concern.

“Yeah, everything’s fine but I need you to help me with something. I'll explain everything while we work on it.” said Shawn.

Shawn led her to the box which held the crib. “Wanna help me set this up for your mom before she wakes up?

“Yeah, sure.” said Maya, eyeing the crib. “You're probably gonna have to do most of the work, though.” she added.

“I figured that.” said Shawn, shaking his head.

Maya and Shawn read the directions and worked non stop until it was finished. The sleek wooden crib stood proudly as the two stood back to admire their hard work.

“Nice. Mom's gonna love it.” said Maya proudly.

“I think so too.” agreed Shawn.

When Katy woke up from her nap, Shawn and Maya walked into the bedroom together with a smile on their face. Katy was feeling much better now and she instantly smiled back at the sight of them.

“Mom, we have something to show you.” said Maya, taking Katy by the hand. She led her into the living room, revealing the crib perfectly put together.

“We spent forever working on this. I think we make a pretty good team, though. Don't you think, Maya? said Shawn.

“Yep.” she replied, putting an arm around Shawn.

Katy was tearing up again, but this time they were tears of joy. “You guys did a good job. I love it. And I love both of you.” she said as she pulled both of them in for a hug.

The amount of love that filled that apartment meant so much more than anything money could ever buy. That was what kept them going every day, that was all they truly needed to survive.