Memories

Thanksgiving was a week away. A time for loved ones to get together and give thanks for all they had. This year, Shawn and Katy had so much to be thankful for and they could hardly wait. However, their original plans had been changed and they would be spending Thanksgiving up in Philadelphia with the Matthews family.

A frantic Katy paced back and forth through the apartment. “Are you sure you packed everything we'll need?”

“Yes, dear. Everything is packed and ready to go. The only thing you need to do this get in the car so we can finally leave” Shawn replied with a laugh.

Shawn and Katy left the apartment and went downstairs to the car. Shawn had rented an SUV so they'd have more room and Katy would be comfortable. Maya was already in the backseat drawing in one of her sketch books when they got in the car.

“Alright, family! Time to hit the road!” said Shawn. Katy clapped her hands and peered back at Maya in the back seat. “You ready baby girl?”

“Hell yeah I'm ready!” said Maya without looking up from her sketches.

Both Shawn and Katy laughed and they were finally on their way. Nothing but family, good music on the radio, and the open road.

------

“How are you feeling so far?” asked Shawn, reaching for her hand. At this point, Shawn had been driving for an hour and he knew they'd probably have to make a stop soon.

“Well..I do have to pee and I am a little hungry” replied Katy in her cutesy baby voice. Shawn smiled and shook his head. He simply couldn't get over how adorable his wife was.

He drove two more miles before pulling off to the nearest exit that had gas stations and restaurants.

Maya looked out the window when she felt them come to a stop. “What? We're stopping already? It's only like a two hour drive!” she moaned.

“Are you forgetting that we're traveling with your very pregnant mother?” said Shawn.

“Patience, dear one. You'll get to Riley soon enough.” added Katy, already knowing why her daughter was in such a hurry.

While Shawn pumped the gas, Katy and Maya went inside the gas station. Katy headed straight to the restrooms while Maya got snacks for herself. She picked out a bag of chips and an energy drink. Katy soon joined her and grabbed a handful of honey buns and a bag of chips.

Maya eyed her mother's purchases. “That sure is a lot of snacks, Mom.”

“I'm eating for two here, remember? ” replied Katy.

Before they knew it, the family was back on the road again.

--------

The hour practically flew by. Katy woke up from her nap and noticed the sign that said they were now entering Philadelphia. She felt a little anxious knowing this would be her first time seeing where Shawn grew up. Not only Shawn, but also her friends Topanga and Cory. This was like stepping back in time, witnessing a piece of their history.

Shawn took a quick glance towards Katy as he drove. “Well Katy, this is it. My hometown where everything happened”

Katy sighed. “Yeah, I can't believe we're here”

“Of course, the best part of my life didn't happen until I met you in New York City” Shawn quickly added as he affectionately took her hand and softly kissed it.

They drove for a while and got further into the city. “The city of brotherly love” as all the signs read. Shawn noted the sign that led to Pennbrook University. “We're gonna take a quick look at my college, is that okay?” He looked over at Katy and in the rear view mirror at Maya. Katy nodded yes in response and Maya said “Sure, that'd be really cool”

The campus seemed to be larger than Shawn remembered. It was noticeably empty that day, all the students gone home for Thanksgiving break. The lawn that surrounded the tall buildings was as lush and green as he remembered.

Shawn slowed down so Maya could continue snapping photos with the camera he had bought her. “So this is where you went to school, huh” said Maya.

Shawn admired the campus fondly. “Yep. This is it. We had a lot of great memories here. I wish it was open so we could take a look inside”

“What about your high school? Can we see that too?” Maya asked with eagerness.

“I don't know, kiddo. Your mom is probably tired and ready to get to the house” said Shawn.

“No. I'm fine.” Katy looked over at Shawn with a smile.

“Well okay then. Next stop; good ol’ John Adams High!” said Shawn.

During the drive, Shawn pointed out all the places he remembered, where he used to hang out. Katy loved seeing her husband's face light up as he relived all the memories.

They came to a stoplight when Shawn pointed out a small restaurant on the corner. “See that place over there? It used to be called Chubbie’s. We all used to hang out there all the time. It was practically our second home. Besides the Matthews house of course.” explained Shawn.

Katy leaned over to kiss his cheek. “Wow, that's pretty awesome, Shawn. I love going on this trip down memory lane with you. I feel like I'm getting to know you even better”

Being able to share these old memories with his family meant everything to Shawn. Remembering who he was back then compared to the man he had become felt so surreal in a way. “I love you girls so much. And of course my new baby son who I can't wait to meet”

“We love you too” said Katy, placing a hand on her stomach.

After a quick pass by of his old high school, they were finally headed to the Matthews house where they'd be staying for a few days. A wave of nostalgia hit Shawn while driving through that familiar neighborhood. Countless memories crossed his mind and now he'd get to make new ones with his wife and daughter.

He pulled into the driveway and Maya pointed out that Cory, Topanga, Riley, and Auggie had already made it there. Shawn parked the car and glanced at his wife. “Honey, we're home!”