Bless the Broken Road

The apartment was all setup and ready for guests to arrive. It was Sunday afternoon, the day of  Shawn Jr.'s welcome home party. Topanga had been there since early that morning to help get everything ready.

“Thank you for this, Topanga. I couldn't have done any of this without you” said Katy.

“No need to thank me. Anything for my best friend” Topanga replied with a smile.

Since the baby shower was originally going to be Christmas themed, that's the theme they stuck with for the party. They even got Mr. Feeny to stop by dressed as Santa Claus for the kids.

As Katy put the last of the hors d’oeuvres out on the table, she heard the baby crying in the other room. “Sounds like little man’s awake” said Katy as she went to go get him out of his crib.

“Can I hold him for you?” asked Riley eagerly when she walked back in the living room.

Katy thought for a moment. “Sure, sweetheart.” Katy gestured for Riley to sit on the couch and she handed the baby to her, showing her how to hold him properly. Maya sat right next to her smiling at the way Riley’s eyes lit up while she looked at the baby.

Soon enough, all the guests had arrived except for one. Katy's father Mike.

“I bet you he won't even show up. That's just the type of man he is” said Katy's mom.

“Mom, please. I'm sure he'll be here soon. You know he had to catch a cab from the airport” replied Katy in an annoyed tone.

Shawn wrapped his arms around her waist and softly kissed her neck. “Love you” he slightly whispered in her ear.

Katy smiled, looking down and closing her eyes. “Love you more”

Thirty minutes went by and suddenly the doorbell rang. “That must be him..” Katy sighed. She went to open the door and just as she had suspected, it was her dad.

He was a tall man, with salt and pepper colored hair and a worn face due to old age and many years of farm labor. They both shared the same wide brown eyes and the same smile, which was the only thing they truly shared anymore after so many years of not speaking with each other.

“Hi daddy..” said Katy softly.

“Hey darlin’” the man replied, giving his daughter a hug.

She stood stiff for a second, but eventually hugged him back. The fact of the matter was, despite everything that happened, the things that were said, Katy missed her dad. This was the first time they had hugged in so long and now she remembered why his arms were once the place she felt the most protected.

“Michael..” a voice said from behind them. Katy turned from the hug to see her mom standing there with her arms crossed and eyes narrowed slightly.

“Angie. Is that you? You look good, girl!” laughed Mike, walking further into the apartment.

“Don't you start with me, Michael. If it was up to me, you wouldn't even be welcomed here right now” said Angie.

Katy shot a glare at her mom. The last thing she needed was for those two to get into it. She heard enough of their bickering throughout most of her childhood.

Mike walked into the living room and Maya stood up as soon as she saw him. “Hey, grandpa” said Maya.

“Little Maya? I almost didn't recognize you, darlin! You were about up to my knee the last time I saw you” said Mike.

“Yeah, well, I'm all grown up now..” responded Maya as he gave her a hug. Maya’s memories of her grandfather were a bit fuzzy. The only thing she really remembered was his farm with all the horses and that he always smelled like tobacco and peppermint.