Chapter 18

A/N:
Thanks so much for all the reads!!! I'm sorry I've been taking so long to update - been busy with college! I'm also a slow writer to begin with lol. I also want to make this story longer than my last one. Just be patient with me, and don't forget to vote if you've enjoyed the chapter!

Enjoy loves!

Cassidy's eyes fluttered open, they fixed on the mess of clothes scattered throughout her room. Pickles was stretched out taking a bath in the middle of it all, happily purring away.

Cassidy's body cracked as she leaned up to stretch and rub her eyes, the need for coffee growing by the second. As she went through her morning routine she kept eyeing her bookshelf remembering the mythology books she had bought back in college. She wanted to know more about Lust, even if he had told her the majority, she yearned to explore everything he was. The tale of the 7 Deadly Sins was old and mysterious, and it still was hard to believe they actually existed.

As she sipped her coffe she browsed the shelf until she stopped on the book she was trying to find and snuggled into her couch, immediately skimming through the chapters.
Bingo.
Cas found the chapter on the 7 Deadly Sins, reading out loud to herself, "People have always been immoral, shiftless, and self-gratifying since the beginning. But for ages, humankind struggled to find a conceptual system to operationalize their spiritual shortcomings. According to Sacred Origins of Profound Things, Greek monastic theologian Evagrius of Pontus recorded an event hypothesized during the beginning of time. He described a list of eight offenses and wicked human passions that were reincarnated as superficial beings, in order of increasing seriousness: envy, lust, greed, wrath, gluttony, laziness and pride. Evagrius saw the escalating severity as representing increasing fixation with the self, with envy as the most egregious of the sins."

Envy. Cas remembered Lust mentioning he had no free will, would someone he claimed as his sister really be so cruel? Even from heartbreak she assumed family would mean a lot more to ancient beings, but she still wasn't familiar with the rest of Lust's siblings to even form an opinion on the matter.

Part of her felt relief from having the truth revealed, the other part battled with the thoughts that Lust had killed before. She didn't want to think about it, she could justify everything else but that. The weight of this burden made her stomach uneasy, wishing there was some way to fix the situation but Lust was undeniably preparing for a battle. Cas just prayed there wouldn't be pointless bloodshed.

To keep her mind off things she decided to go into the shop, getting dressed for work she headed out.
As she stepped into her office, she was pleasantly greeted by JoAnne who was doing reception work filing papers and answering phones.

"Hey, haven't seen you around in a bit, are you okay?" JoAnne questioned while mindlessly typing away on her laptop.

"Yeah I've had...a long week," Cas expelled, taking a seat next to her friend.

"I heard the news the other day....wasn't Hailey one of your clients?"

The question hung in the air, stinging Cassidy's senses as she remembered the tragedy. She almost didn't want to respond in leui of what she knew Lust had done.

"Yeah..... I think... I'll send the fiancée some flowers and a card," she said, disdain tinged on her words forcing herself to keep it together.

"I'll sign the card too, I can't believe something like that would happen in this little town..." JoAnne spoke trying to emphasis sympathy.

Cassidy sighed again, rubbing her temples as the feeling of uneasiness swept over her again. She moved to her cubicle to find a pile of paperwork and a voicemail box full of messages. As she spent the day working although her mind kept daydreaming of magical creatures and fantasies that she had almost forgotten from childhood. She wondered what Lust's family was like, and if they would like her.