Chapter Twenty-Six

Daryl's POV:

I stared down at Emma's lifeless body and couldn't help but worry, she has been asleep for an entire day now. I sat in the seat beside her bed and held her hand, gently rubbing my thumb over the knuckles on her hand. Her hand was so cold it made a chill run down my spine, and shivers hit me every time I thought that she might not make it. Emma was someone so special to me, it would honestly kill me inside if anything happened to her. Emma got shot doing something she always did, protecting the people she loved. Had Emma not done what she did we could have lost Rick, Maggie, Glenn and probably more....I just had to hope we never lose Emma. 

Lately i had been feeling something different for her, especially after I kissed her when everyone got separated. It was like every nerve ending in my body was on fire when her lips met mine, and I would give anything in the world to feel that same feeling again. I had never been in love, never been with any woman that meant as much as this woman does right now. But the feeling stirring in my belly told me this was probably as close as I would ever get. I loved her, I loved Emma and I might not get the chance to tell her. The moment I saw Emma fall to the ground, blood pouring from her side, was the moment I realized it was love I had been feeling all along.

I bent down and gently kissed her sweaty forehead and let my lips linger on her skin for a few moments. Emma was burning up and freezing at the same time, it was strange and i only wished to make this pain go away. Her lung was still collapsed so her breathing was continuously raspy and abnormal, we didn't have the tools to fix it just yet. Her wound on her side was starting to heal, but that would only be worse later when Hershel had to open her back up. Today though, i was leaving to go find exactly what she needed, but the closest hospital was overrun and it was dangerous.

I sighed and kissed her forehead one last time before making my way out of the cell block. Rick, T-Dog and Glenn were all looking over a map in the living area. "We gonna hit the road or what?" I asked impatiently as I grabbed my crossbow that was on the table and slung it over my arm. "It'll be you, T-Dog and Glenn making this run. But you need to make it quick, the hospital is dangerous. Hershel made a list of what you need" Rick told us, he then handed Glenn some keys and walked off into the cell block. Hershel gave the list to T-Dog and I yanked the keys out of Glenn's hand and ran outside, jumping in the grey truck. 

"Hurry up!" I yelled out the window to T-Dog and Glenn who were walking out of the cell block, Glenn was saying goodbye to Maggie and I honked the horn to speed them up. T-Dog climbed int he passenger seat while Glenn climbed in the cab in the back of the truck. I sped down the dirt pathway and through the gate that Carol opened and closed behind us. The hospital was about twenty miles away, and I drove as quickly as I could down the street. "Easy there tiger, we'll get there quick enough" T-Dog said from beside me. "Yeah Daryl, don't need us wrecking the truck before we get there" Glenn added.

I frowned and glared at him through the rear view window, "What if it was Maggie in there instead of Emma, you would be trying to rush too" I growled quietly and gripped the steering wheel tighter. I took a left turn up the street that led to the hospital and only slowed down a tad before speeding up again. "I would, but remember what happened when Lori hit that walker, you still have to be cautious man" Glenn told me, gently patting my shoulder before resting back in the seat. I sighed and nodded my head before slowing down to a normal driving speed. 

"We know you love her, Emma is tough, shell pull through" T-Dog told me with a nod. I quickly looked over to see him smiling at me. "I don't know what your talking about" i said softly realizing I didn't even want to defend my feelings for her to them like I normally would. Any other woman and i would have told them to fuck off, that she meant nothing to me. But I couldn't do that with Emma, she was the first woman i didn't care about showing my feelings for in front of others, and the second I got the chance i would kiss her passionately not worrying about the others seeing us.