Mission 15: Bread Crumbs

Stiles looked at the phone he was holding. It was showing the contact number of his dad. He had been pacing his room for quite some time now.

"Just tell him the truth, Stiles." Jackson suggested who was sitting on Stiles' bed. The werewolf went to find him the minute Stiles decided to call his dad. He had heard the anxiety in his heartbeat and checked on him if something was wrong.

Stiles glared at him. "Do you want him to have a heart attack? He's old you know. His heart can't take this kind of news."

Jackson rolled his eyes. But he got it. This was a whole lot different than your average teenage revelations. "He's the Sheriff, Stiles. He has been living a high stress life for years now. I'm sure he can take it."

Stiles shook his head. His relationship with his dad was not good to say the least. He was treading water with this reestablished bond. It was tenuous to begin with, even before he started looking for dead bodies in the woods. He didn't want to risk it.

Jackson instantly felt guilty. The sadness and anxiety coming from Stiles was sharp and strong. It compelled him to do something. He reached out and took Stiles' hands onto his.

The younger man looked down at him. Jackson cleared his throat before he spoke. "I'm sorry. I had a.... different upbringing than you. I shouldn't have said that."

"No, it's okay. Besides, Dad deserves the truth."

"Then, why don't you start telling him parts of the truth." Clint suggested.

Stiles jumped at his voice.

"Holy shit!!! How long were you there?!? Jesus, this just keeps happening. Warn a guy sometimes!" Stiles clutched his chest. Clint's smirk only grew bigger. He looked at his beta who was trying not to laugh. "And you didn't even bother to inform me someone was lurking outside my room."

"He told me not to. Said it was part of werewolf spy training." Jackson defended.

Stiles glared harshly at Clint. "Now that's just bullshit."

The archer shrugged.

"Unbelievable... But what do you mean by parts of truth isn't just that technically lying by omission."

"Not when you're trying to give enough for him to digest so he wouldn't have a heart attack. Give him some bread crumbs. Just enough for him to follow where you actually are. Just enough for him to know that you didn't just abandoned him. Not on purpose anyway."

Stiles realized it was a good advice. "That actually sounds good. I'll try it."

"I'll just be outside." Jackson said. He didn't need to say he was just one call away, but it hanged genuinely in the air. Jackson and Clint left the room. He knew they will be listening. But he doesn't mind.

There were so many things jumping in his head. He needed to catch the important ones, the ones his dad needed to hear. He took a deep breath before he dialed his dad. He felt his heart pounding as he heard his father's ringtone.

"Hey dad." Stiles greeted.

"What did you do?" The Sheriff asked.

"Can't I just call my dad to say 'hi and I miss you'?"

John huffed. "Did you now?"

Stiles squawked indignantly. "Yah...well no... but I do miss you, Dad." Stiles said honestly.

"I miss you too, Stiles." Stiles could hear the smile in his father's voice. "Now tell me what you really wanted to say." And there came the Sherriff's voice. Stiles huffed nervously. Time to come out clean.