Mission 23: Gentle Warmth

A/N: Surprise!!! Another Chapter. This had been sitting on my documents for more than a year. Like I wrote this before chapter 16 I think. Way before the last chapter. I just had to polish it a little. Inspired by Shining by Years and Years. If you don't know check it out before you read it if you can.  Hope to see you all again on the next update. And also, I think I can finish this fic before the year ends. Most of the remaining chapter are half done. I'm just thinking of a few fillers here and there. That's all. Enjoy! ^_^

The Avenger's got a call from Washington. Something about a skyscraper overruled by some armored psychotic clowns. Stiles shivered. He never did like clowns. It wasn't magical in nature so they weren't included. Stiles did try to climb aboard the quinjet but Steve just Clint had been waiting for him. He laughed guiltily and walked backward with placating hands.

So while no one was there to supervise their training, Coulson told them to exercise their individual ability. Stiles with his grasp on his magic and Jackson with shifting.

It took the Avengers half day to resolve the issue. When Steve came in, his greeting was stiff and short and his smile was forced. Throughout the dinner, he was strangely quiet. He'd ask about their day but the it was more out of politeness.

"What's wrong with Steve?" Stiles asked when the man has gone to be bed earlier than normal.

"Just let him go kid. Some things get you deeper than most." Clint said.

Stiles' brow furrowed as he gazed at the door Steve had disappeared into. "But he looked so sad."

***

Stiles planned to meditate early morning to control his dust more delicately. Dawn is when magic stirs awake, potent and full of promise. He went to the kitchen to have something heavy to build up his energy and concentration before he started his training.

But then he sensed someone outside, awake in the early hours. He didn't expect to find anyone up already. Stiles could feel the familiar steady aura of a certain super soldier, with a hint of something gloomy. Curious on why the super soldier was up and about earlier than him, he abandoned his food and went to the open deck.

Steve was sitting on the outdoor sofa, sketch pad on his lap and a charcoal pencil on his fingers. Stiles knocked on the wall to get Steve's attention. The Soldier looked his way upon hearing him. Steve didn't smile as brightly as he usually did whenever they meet. He must still be affected by whatever transpired yesterday. Stiles felt the need to give the man some space.

"Hey, Cap. Good morning. Didn't expect anyone up here so early. I'm just gonna go." Stiles said, backing away.

"Stiles." Steve called. Stiles halted on his tracks and looked back expectantly at Steve. "Stay." Steve asked.

"I don't want to bother yo-"

"No, you are not." Steve cut the nervous babble. Steve scooted over and patted the space he just vacated.

Stiles smiled at Steve. He walked over to him and sit beside him. He placed his spell book on his lap.

Cold wind blew and Stiles shivered.

"It's cold." Stiles commented, rubbing his arms.

"We can share body heat." Steve offered, lifting his arms.

Stiles stared dumbfounded at Steve. Because, Steve plus body heat could do that even to his brain.

"Yeah we could do that." Stiles said, trying to be casual only for his voice to pitch high at the last word.