Chapter 17 - A Little Piece of Heaven (Edited)

(Any reproductions of this story other than on https://www.wattpad.com/394008710-gast are not permitted by the Intellectual owner of this property. If you see any reproductions on other sites you should inform myself immediately as that is a breach of the copyright laws that protect this story.)

"You need to spend time crawling alone through shadows to truly appreciate what it is to stand in the sun." Shaun Hick.

Frank felt stupid, he suspected his overreaction was nothing more than a manifestation of grief, he felt this way right up until the moment he opened his front door; and stared into the sinister dark hall of his home.

The Sun shone behind him like a beacon but the house barely acknowledged the suns rays. Stepping into the house was like stepping into oblivion, Frank could visibly see a barrier forming between light and shadow, every instinct told him to step back into the light and abandon this place, but that again was just the manifestation of grief.

Frank slammed the front door shut behind him and submerged himself in total darkness. The effect was beyond disturbing and if Frank hadn't spent four decades living in this house then undoubtedly he would have struggled in the dark to find the light switch, however, he found it immediately.

The lights flickered and seemed to struggle against the shadows before finally bursting into radiance.

Frank wondered why it was so bloody dark and soon noticed that every blind was closed. He instantly knew the culprit and sighed as he drew back the blinds to purge the darkness.

Emily hated the light, she, of course, blamed the headaches; but Frank had other thoughts. He had woken often lately to find the empty space in bed where Emily should have been. He knew she was grieving but sometimes her manifestations of grief terrified him. Sometimes he was positive that she had stopped breathing, usually, it was when she was staring into the distance, lost to her melancholy.

As he banished the shadows from the house, he knew exactly where Emily would be. She would be locked inside Rose's old room, sat in that bloody rocking chair, staring at nothing and everything; as if she could see past this dimension and into another.

Frank gave a cursory glance at the empty whiskey bottles lined up on the kitchen counter and knew he was in for a world of trouble, or at least he would be if his Emily was here; however, this variant of Emily probably wouldn't even have noticed, let alone care.

Frank reluctantly climbed the stairs, he had to apologize, he had to beg for forgiveness; it didn't matter if this Emily even gave a shit.

"Emily."

Frank was halfway up the stair case and already felt unease. The upper floors were just like the rest of the house in the sense that it was submerged into darkness, however, unlike the rest of the house; the lights pulsed as if leading him to Rose's room.

Frank tried the light switch as he ascended to the top, it was highly possible that the flick switch was faulty; a lot of the electrics in this house were...

Frank flicked the switch both on and off and nothing happened, the lights continued to slowly pulse and fade.

"Piece of shit house..." Frank muttered as he walked towards Rose's bedroom, which was shut tight and probably locked from the inside.

Frank tested the knob, it resisted as expected.

Frank sighed and leaned against the door, his face touched the wood, his eyes shut tight; as they imagined Emily sat in that creepy fucking rocking chair with absent eyes.

"Emily... I'm sorry I can't be there for you the way I'd like to, but I want you to know something. If I have to, I will lean against this God damn door until the day I die; I will do it gladly." Frank muttered with teary eyes.

The door unlocked and Frank almost fell into the room, surprised. It creaked open slowly to reveal darkness, however, this darkness felt different; it felt hostile...

The sound of the rocking chair distracted him, how had she gotten to the chair so fast?

"Emily I'm sorry I was a fool..." Frank said creeping closer to the chair.

"I wanted to drown myself in alcohol but no matter how much I drank I felt absolutely nothing..."

The chair stopped rocking. Frank really hated the sound of it rocking but as he listened to the awkward silence; he realized the rocking sound wasn't too bad.

"Emily...Please, say something... Even if it's just to scream and shout at me, it will show me that you're still in there somewhere." Frank winced; he hadn't meant for that to come out at all, he could imagine her glaring hostile eyes as he said it.

Frank reached forward to touch her face. "Emil..." He withdrew his hand with terror.

"No..." Her face was icy cold, her skin dry.

He ran to flip the light switch on and nearly ran from the room as the rocking chair began to rock again.

Frank mumbled a curse and flicked the light on; he cried out and fell to his knees to the sight of Emily.

Her dead eyes stared back at him, Frank noted with horror that the chair continued to rock, building up speed, he watched with disgust as Emily's head lolled back and forth, with each rock.

Frank screamed in rage and jumped to his feet, whatever was controlling the chair responded by shattering the light bulbs overhead. Glass rained down on Frank, the shadows returned and with their return, Frank saw a sight that made him envy the blind.

He saw Rose pushing the Rocking chair with a mad glee and a sinister amber aura to her eyes.