Chapter 28 - All The Right Words (Edited)

(Any reproductions of this story other than on https://www.wattpad.com/394008710-gast are not permitted by the Intellectual owner of this property. If you see any reproductions on other sites you should inform myself immediately as that is a breach of the copyright laws that protect this story.)

"The day of my birth, my death began its walk. It Is walking towards me, without hurrying." Jean Cocteau

Adam and Lily stared on in a silence that was only achievable by Mourners. If they turned around to look behind their backs, they would have seen a mob of equally silent people, all dressed in identical black attire all donning an expression of sorrow. Adam knew the truth they were sad, but only because tradition dictated so, they did not know true sorrow, if one was to measure the sorrow of the crowd itself and compare it to Lily's it would not even be visible to the naked eye.

They were sorry... But a deeper, more honest part of their psyches was actually grateful, not in a malicious way of course... They were merely grateful that Death had not yet to claim them.

Lily tried to quell her sorrow... Her body trembled and she sub consciously leaned back into Adam as they lowered Clara's coffin into the family lot.

Adam could not fight the mental imagery of Rose, Emily, Frank and now Clara stacked up on top of one another. It made him sick to the pit of his stomach. He averted his eyes from the coffin as Lily knelt to retrieve some dirt. He knew he should watch and be there for her in her time of need but he was unable to.

"How could you leave me like this?"

Lily spoke softly before opening her hand and letting the grave dirt fall between her fingers.

Adam did not need good hearing to know what she said. He was thinking it himself.

They say Death comes in three's, Clara made four...

If Adam happened to encounter Death right now he would attack him and Death would feel every ounce of rage that Adam kept hidden from both the world and Lily. Adam would MAKE him understand the pain and suffering he had caused.

Adam knew that anger was a symptom of Mourning but he doubted his anger would pass. In truth, he feared it would swallow him whole.

Lily tugged on Adams sleeve to gently make him aware that the funeral had come to a closure.

He looked down at his bleeding palms and knew he had spent the entire service with taut knuckles. Lily was still shaking with rage and in that moment the two had never been bonded tighter together.

Adam watched the mourners as they left and he could actually see the façade fall from them, they walked differently, held their heads higher and Adam was so confident that he would place a wager on the assumption that the sadness had left some of their eyes.

Lily reached for his hand and led him to the exit of the church. He was almost completely away from the church grounds when he felt drawn to look behind him.

Adam turned his neck to face the grave and his eyebrows raised with confusion.

A boy was standing at the grave site, in his hand he held a black rose, he was looking at the dirt and speaking. Adam tried to read his lips but couldn't make out his words.

The thing that got Adams attention more was the fact that he was wearing a white suit.

Lily stopped walking and looked at the spot where Adams gaze was focused.

"Do you want a moment alone with them..." She asked.

Her eyes betrayed her calm tone.

Adam paused and mused why she had made no comment about the boy.

He debated asking her but doubt settled into his mind, was there even a boy? Was his mind playing tricks on him?

Adam looked back to the grave to check his sanity. The boy was still there alright. Yet Lily paid no heed to him.

Adam made a decision that with the use of hindsight he would later come to regret.

"Yeah... I won't be long. Ask the driver to wait for me."

Adam turned his back on her before she could respond and walked with purpose towards the boy.

The boy lowered the rose onto the dirt and turned to smile at Adam before walking towards the Church wall that hindered Adam's view of the child.

Adam followed him past the wall and spoke.

"This is a private funeral..."

Adam stopped the boy had vanished into thin air.

He walked the perimeter of the church, keeping a close eye yet the child was nowhere to be seen.

He gave up, choosing not to dwell on his impending madness, he made it to the furthest region of the church wall and almost walked past the grave without checking. But his curiosity had the better of him.

Placed lovingly on the grave was a black rose.

It wasn't madness after all...

Adam knelt down to retrieve it and stopped inches from the rose as the boy spoke.

"You shouldn't steal from the dead. They don't forgive and they don't forget."

Adam pulled his hand away from the rose and slowly stood to his feet, he turned to see the boy standing and leaning against the church wall. He had a humor in his eyes that disturbed Adam deeply.

Adam coughed to clear his throat and spoke.

"Did you know Clara?"

The boy stared at the dirt and spoke.

"Quite well..."

Adam nodded and spoke slowly, trying to mask his anger.

"You weren't at the funeral?" He asked.

The boy walked towards the grave and stopped at the precipice.

"I thought it best to visit when it was quieter."

Adam's eyebrows raised once more in suspicion. Something about this kid was just plain wrong, he had a deep dislike for the boy but could not place it.

"Why is that exactly?"

The boy stared at him. All of his childlike qualities were removed with that one stare.

"You know why Adam... You just don't want to accept the truth."

Adam took several steps back in shock before regaining his composure.

"How did you..."

The boy smiled and whispered one sentence.

"Rose will come back..."

"Adam!!!" Lily called from the distance.

Adam instinctively turned to face her.

"You ready now?" She asked.

Adam felt the boy as he whispered in his ear.

"Remember Adam. The dead don't forget..."

Adam span on his feet and the boy was once more gone from sight.

The rose lay on the grave as a bitter reminder that this moment was very real.