Chapter Seven

I'm really sorry this chapter is short & definitely isn't my best work, but I had a severe case of writer's block. I was gonna wait until tomorrow to finish it, but I'm trying to be faster with my updating so I really wanted to get it out tonight. I hope you like it anyway, though. It's mostly a filler for the next chapter; so here it is. Enjoy(:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Seven

Looking up into his up into his guilt-stricken eyes I felt what was left of the tough exterior I put up melt away, leaving a steady stream of tears flowing down my face. Why couldn’t breaking my wrist be enough for him? Was constant physical pain something he felt I needed to suffer through? Rolling onto my side, I allowed a soft whimper to escape my throat as I buried my head under the comforter. My abdomen and cheek ached with the fresh pain of his recent string of violence.

“Babe, I said I’m sorry! Please don’t cry!” Landon started trying to pull the blankets down off my face but I held tight to them with my good hand, cradling the injured one to my stomach. “Candi, look at me!”

“Just leave me alone!” I begged, fighting to stop the tears free-falling from my eyes.

“No, I’m not going to leave you alone when you’re this upset.”

My anger towards him slowly started to dissipate, even though I tried desperately to hang onto it.  Believe me, I know he didn’t deserve my forgiveness, and I know I should just break up with him, but I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t stay mad at Sweet Landon, and I couldn’t break up with the guy I was head over heels in love with. I hear people talk about how they don’t understand why girls stay with abusive boyfriends, and why they can’t just report them; but that’s just it, they don’t understand. I’ll explain it like this, it’s like putting a dog you’ve had your whole life, and loved more than anything in the pound just because it bites you every now and then.  Did you ever think maybe you just deserved to be bitten?

“Landon…” I whispered, reaching for the sleeve of his shirt. He leaned down and kissed me softly, rubbing small circles on my stinging cheek with his thumb.

“I love you.” He murmured against my lips.

“I know.” I responded, burying my face in his sweatshirt. He laid down and pulled me closer, running his fingers through my hair.

“I’m so sorry. I don’t know what came over-”

“Stop, okay? It’s fine. I know you didn’t mean to.” I mumbled, blinking away fresh tears that were threatening to spill over. I hated having to listen to the apologies when he actually decided to use them. No matter how sorry he was, in the end I’d always have another new bruise.

*~*~*

“Morning, sunshine!” Brian greeted me cheerfully as I entered the kitchen, having just said good-bye to Landon. He rushed over and threw his arms around my waist, causing me to wince and a hiss to escape my lips. He immediately took a step back. “What’s wrong?”

I shook my head, “Nothing. Just a little sore from the fall last night.” I lied.

“I see. You want me to make you something to eat? You didn’t get any of my amazing pancakes last night, but I can make you some more.”

I plastered a friendly smile on my face, “Sounds great.”

“Have a seat mademoiselle,” he said in a fake French accent, pulling back a chair at the kitchen table for me to sit on.