Chapter 18: Larc

Chapter 18~

My fingers grazed beneath my nose and a warm red liquid ran across my fingers.

Jason.

My head flooded with images of Jason being shot. Braeden’s smug smirk as the bullet hit his target. The blood flowing from Jason’s abdomen as he collapsed to the ground.

I screamed. I was going to die. If they could allow such a bloodthirsty kill towards another Cipher such as myself, they couldn’t have much better in store for me. And I was going to die alone—something that scared me the most. I clawed at my door, begging for it to open as the car slowed down.

I looked up and couldn’t believe my eyes—refused to believe what I was seeing.

A concentration camp stood before us. Big grey buildings without windows grinned down evilly at me. Snipers were perched on each roof, prepared for any unexpected threat.

The barb-wired and chain linked fence opened up before us and the truck lurched forward.

I composed myself, prepared to fight, prepared to run—anything to get me away from the murderous monsters waiting for me.

I had to think this through. I could run and be shot before I made it to the gates, or I could plot my escape once inside. If they went through such efforts to get me here though, why would they kill me?

It's too big of a risk. I needed more time to figure this out.

The vehicle stopped and my door swung open. I flashed Braeden with the dirtiest stare I could muster up. 

"Rides over. Time to get out" he ordered calmly.

Instead of the defiance and uncooperation he was expecting I would give him, I directly glared into his eyes and lifted myself up and out of the truck with ease.

The truck shifted forward and Trevor grunted as he difficultly pulled himself out of his seat. He slammed the door behind him, cursing under his breath as he walked around the truck to where Braeden and I were.

"Now this is just for precautions. Don't want you doing anything stupid." Braeden explained as he held my wrists together and secured them with a plastic zip tie cuff.

I winced as he roughly tightened it, causing it to burn against my skin.

When I looked up again towards the grey building, the entrance doors were occupied. Two soldiers with heavy boots and guns at their sides stood on each side of an unfamiliar man.                                  

The man was at least in his late forties or early fifties. Silver threads of hair were showing through his natural dark brown hair and even at this distance you could see that wrinkles were already lining his pale white face.

An aura of authority surrounded him with his tense eyes and stiff posture.

He simply grinned smugly at me, like a spider knowing his dinner was finally trapped in it's web. My stomach clenched up into knots and I knew that my face was doing a poor job with concealing the anxiety that had suddenly overcome me.

Only a matter of days ago I had been invisible to the world, wishing that someone would notice me, and now I found myself in the presence of far too much unwanted company.

Braeden met the man's gaze and gave a quick nod of acknowledgement before he grabbed my arm tightly and pulled me towards the awaiting man with Trevor following closely behind us.

"Sir." Braeden and Trevor saluted the man in unison.

"Eaton. Hill." he greeted "I am both proud and pleasantly surprised. Good job, seargants."

Addressing them with what I assumed was their last names, he was obviously their superior. This man was probably the one who sent Braeden and Trevor after me. This man was probably the one who is responsible for Jason getting shot and Braeden being nearly beaten to death.

He turned back to face me and smiled that eerie smile of his.

"I thought you would have put up more of a fight," he laughed and grinned down at me, "let me formally introduce myself,

my name is Larc. And I'm the Commander of a branch of the United States Secret Service:  A Special Weapons and Tactics unit which is secretive to even the President himself. You won't be getting out of this facility anytime soon so let me do you the honours personally giving you a tour."

*****************************

I'm back guys! I hope at least some of you hung in there.

I didn't have much motivation due to the lack of reads so I didn't feel like it was as high of a priority as I know it is.

I'm determined to finish this with or without reads though and for all of you still reading, just know that you are loved ❤