Chapter 2 - Teegan

"Breakfast was excellent, Thomas," I said. The words sounded strange coming out of my mouth, like I was born to wealth and complimenting a servant. I hadn't meant it to come out like that. The omelet was excellent, and the bacon had a perfect mix of crisp and chewy.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it, Miss Fuller," Thomas replied. His smile seemed honest. Hopefully, he understood I meant it nicely and not authoritatively as it sounded. Caleb laughed silently inside at my discomfort. I gave him a look which only drew forth his outward smile, weakening my glare. Thomas cleared the dishes, oblivious to our internal discussions.

"I could get used to this," Caleb said to me, leaning back in his chair like he owned the place.

"What about your dreams?" I asked, hoping that wealth didn't breed apathy.

"I think all of this puts them back on track," Caleb replied. "In fact, your dreams no longer have to wait for mine. The money problem is solved." I could feel his building comfort with the situation.

"My dreams are your dreams," I told him. "I have no idea why I'm on this planet. I just know it's a lot more fun with you." I sent him some memories of our naked play from the past week. I loved how it made him smile. My body reacted deliciously to the return volley from his mind.

"Jason," I said, spinning my chair around to face him. I needed a few answers before I gave into the lust that was building. I could feel Caleb sigh at the delay. "How did you know I would be attacked this morning?"

"We didn't, Miss Fuller," Jason replied, "we were reacting to the earlier attempt. I was told not to confront you inside the hospital so we set up a perimeter and waited."

"Do you know the man who attacked?"

"No," Jason said, shaking his head, "Rob is trying to find that out. He stayed behind to explain to the police and see what he could find out."

"Rob?"

"The other man that was with me. The one who took the target down," Jason answered. "I'm sure he's still explaining the self-defense aspect of his actions." Jason smiled with more than a little pride. "I'm glad he was in good form this morning."

"Could he be in trouble?" I asked. I didn't want anyone ruining themselves for me.

"Maybe in the short run, but he has a permit to carry, and the assailant didn't leave him any choice."

"I can afford a lawyer, can't I?" I asked, suddenly worried that Rob might be in more trouble than he could manage.

"You probably have a hundred on retainer," Jason said, with humor. His smile disappeared when he saw the expression on my face. "I'm sure Mr. Watterson is already working on it. Rob knows we won't abandon him."

"Who is Mr. Watterson," Caleb asked.

"Victor Watterson runs things in Miss Fuller's stead," Jason replied to Caleb. "He was Mr. Corbett's personal assistant and confidant. I guess the last person to see him alive." Jason looked from Caleb to me. "I understand he knew you as a baby. He's the one who told me to ask for your trust."

"I know about Corbett," I said, "but no one mentioned Mr. Watterson," I looked back at Caleb who shrugged. We were in a too deep to worry about it now.

"He thinks you're an angel," Jason added, smiling, "and I must say, I agree."

"I assure you I have no wings," I responded, wanting to be rid of the such an undeserved title. I would have preferred ma'am.

"That thing you do," Jason continued, "it's like all the problems in the world disappear and a supreme clarity takes over. How do you do it?"

"She was born with it," Caleb replied for me. He knew I didn't want to discuss it like it was some kind of gift.