Chapter 4 - Teegan

Caleb was enjoying my new found strength. He knew it was due as much to him as it was to our situation. I loved how he thought it was sexy. It made me push harder, try unexpected things with confidence that surprised me. The tingling feelings he generated and the unconditional love that we continually traded, made it all so much simpler. I felt like a queen.

"Whoa," Caleb breathed. I looked up as Terence drove us through a large wrought iron gate that opened at a push of a button. Guards, dressed in black, waved to Jason as we drove through. A tan stone mansion sat a quarter mile away, comfortably nestled in pristine landscaping. Large conifers littered the curving drive that led to the house, but none obscured the magnificence of the structure. They were strategically placed to project a feeling of nature without blocking the view. It was beautiful.

Captain Garcia was looking straight ahead with a blank expression. I assumed he was as impressed as I was, but it didn't show. That his eyes were glued to our destination was telling enough.

"That's mine?" I asked. I felt like I was in a dream.

"Every brick," Jason replied. He was enjoying my surprise.

"Well, Captain," I said, "it does look like I have room for you and your men."

"Okay," Garcia said, his tone resigned, "some wires must have gotten crossed. I wasn't told about anything like this."

"I just found out myself," I said, trying to soften it with a smile. "I think Colonel Righthouse will find me a little more challenging than he imagined." A pulse of desire burst from Caleb. I tried not to let it show and sent my own back. It still amazed me the way his mind formed my image. Beautiful perfection now wrapped in a sexy strength. It was hard to keep my attention on the present.

"I'm not usually concerned with the reasons behind my orders," Garcia commented, "but this is becoming stranger by the moment." He turned to me. "What the hell is going on?" I was enjoying his confusion. It made me feel like I had some control over my life. I had lost that feeling when Zane was shot, or maybe I never had it.

"It's easier to show than to explain," I said cryptically. I offered Garcia my hand, wondering if he would defy his orders about physical contact.

"It will fill in a lot of the blanks," Caleb said. Jason turned in his seat and sighed. I don't think he thought my bonding with Garcia was a good idea.

"If you give up everything at once," Jason said, "you'll lose all your advantage in negotiations."

"I'm not negotiating," I said.

"She's informing," Caleb added as if he was finishing my sentence. I smiled at his agreement. Hiding was over.

"I have orders," Garcia said, as a way of declining. He clasped his hands in front of him resolutely. I pulled my hand back.

"Then you'll have to trust my words," I informed Garcia. "Let's take this inside, the verbal version will probably take a little longer." He nodded in agreement.

"I need to report in," Gracia said when the car pulled to a stop. He got out without another word and headed back to confer with the soldiers in the trailing vehicles.

"Teegan," Jason said with concern, "this really isn't a good idea. You have no need to talk to anyone anymore. Here, you're safe, hidden behind all the power that your wealth provides."

"We're tired of hiding," Caleb responded for me. "Once the military is assured that we mean the country no harm, we can concentrate on those that want to do harm to us."

"They're figuring it out anyway," I added, shrugging my shoulders, "might as well end their speculation." Jason sighed and exited the car. He politely opened the door for me which made me smile. He was conflicted with my decisions, yet he still thought me worthy of respect.