Chapter 10 - Caleb

I thought the death of Jason marked the worst day of my life. It was nothing compared to experiencing Teegan's pain during his funeral. His death was a blip, compared to my love's heart shattering with every useless word the minister spouted. It was the first time I wished I could only see the tears and not share the pain of her death bond with Jason. She had died with him.

Trying to lessen Teegan's pain was useless. Physical pain I could grasp with my mind and pull into me, but this was something deeper. All I could do was share it and beg God that it would stop. It was overwhelming her, and she chose to let it grow as some kind of penance. I couldn't fight it, my love was nothing but a bandaid over a gushing wound.

Teegan approached Jason's mother, a small woman who only seemed half aware of what was going on. Mrs. Tisdale was slumped in a wheelchair with sparse gray hair barely covering her head. Her eyes looked down, seemingly unable to focus at distance. A nurse in blue sweater stood behind the chair, leaning over every once in awhile speaking words directly in her ear. Teegan kneeled before her, and I sucked in my breath as her terrible grief flooded me, a black cloud that smothered most of what I knew Teegan to be.

"Mrs. Tisdale," Teegan said, the syllables jerky as she struggled to get the words out, "your son died saving me." I couldn't stop my eyes watering as Teegan's pain increased. I wanted to pull her away from the woman, make her forget the unforgettable. I was helpless.

"You know my Jason?" Mrs. Tisdale asked. I wasn't sure if she understood that he was dead.

"He loved you dearly," Teegan said, nodding her head.

"He didn't come to visit," Mrs. Tisdale said. "He always comes on Tuesday." She turned to her nurse, "Jason didn't come, did he?"

"No, Mrs. Tisdale," the nurse said, then leaned down to whisper in her ear. I could see the confusion in Mrs. Tisdale's face.

"May I have your hand, Mrs. Tisdale?" Teegan's voice broke, and I could feel her struggling to hold back sobs. I knew what she intended, and I wanted for all the world to stop her. It wasn't my place to stop what she felt was her duty.

Teegan took Mrs. Tisdale's offered hand, and I closed my eyes. I felt Teegan's music change to something, not us, a softer slower beat. My fingers moved instinctively, forming the positions necessary to make the cords as if my violin was in my hand. I waited, clenching my jaw for what I knew was coming.

"My baby," Mrs. Tisdale called out. Pain swamped Teegan and in turn covered what little was left of my control. I covered my eyes with my hand as Teegan shared all that she could of Jason with his mother. Jason's last thoughts were of her, and Teegan made sure she knew. Mrs. Tisdale's sobbing echoed in the church as she pulled Teegan into her arms. The nurse tried to separate them, but Mrs. Tisdale pushed her off. Lucidity, driven by the bond, gave her the strength.

"I lost my boy," Mrs. Tisdale whispered to Teegan.

"It was my fault," Teegan said, "I didn't listen to him. He told me not to, but..." Teegan's voice left her and her head collapsed into Mrs. Tisdale who pulled her close.

"He saved you," Mrs. Tisdale said clearly, surprising the nurse. "Even if he had known the outcome, he would have done it." Her hand stroked through Teegan's hair, comforting her as best she could. "He thought you were an angel and so you must be."

"I'm cursed," Teegan said. I moved toward her, hating what this was doing to her. Mrs. Tisdale waved me off.

"You will not lessen my boy's sacrifice," Mrs. Tisdale whispered, "I can feel him in you. Barely a day, and he gave you everything. You have to prove that his choice was the right one."