Chapter 23 - Teegan

Colonel Righthouse had acquired eleven agents. They were lined up on the tarmac as we deplaned. They were told that their mission was of the most classified nature and a necessity for the safety of the United States. Some of the agents didn't look much older than me, but when the flag waved they answered without reservations. Captain Garcia had their complete obedience. I needed more than that.

"Captain, can you gather everyone?" I asked. They gathered quickly as ordered. Most were probably ex-military, even the lone woman had that look about her. "What I'm about to do is confidential, as you have been told. But I need to make you aware of a man that is of special interest. He's caused the death of many people and needs to be stopped. If you see him, don't hesitate to...do whatever you do...to stop people." I wanted to say kill him, but it suddenly sounded wrong. Anthony should be dead, but these agents needed to act within some semblance of the law.

"Do you have a description, a picture?" an agent asked.

"I'll go one better. Can you please join hands in a circle, you know, like a prayer group," I said, adding a smile to soften the strange request. There was a lot of uncomfortableness, the men not conditioned to hold hands with another man. Eventually, like soldiers, they followed orders. I signaled for Terence and Garcia to join the group. They were much less hesitant.

"Now, don't freak out," I said, then took Terence's hand in mine. Like a set of dominoes, I linked my music with each of theirs. A short round of 'shits' and 'my gods' as each person, in turn, felt the bond take hold. I then gathered my determination and shoved the image I had seen from the bomber directly into their minds. For a second, there were thirteen Anthony Lewis' standing before me as my eyes tried to make sense of what I had done.

I released Terence's hand and took a deep breath. He was smiling brightly at me, it being the first time I had bonded with him. He pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and handed it to me.

"You're bleeding," Terence said softly, pointing at his own nose.

"Thank you," I said and wiped my nose. The handkerchief came back red, and I realized it was mine now. "I'll get you a new one," I said. Terence just smiled, awed by the experience.

"That was intense," one of the agents said, which quickly started some shared murmuring. "And that guy is trying to kill you?" The group went silent and looked at me. They had the look of friends now, not soldiers. The bond had made it personal. Damn thing was too powerful sometimes. As a weapon, it could be devastating. I'd have to remember to hide that when the military started their prodding.

"He's part of a group, though I believe he's the main actor. What I just did, the link you just felt, well, they think it's evil," I told them.

"The answer is yes," Caleb chimed in. "The idea is to make sure he doesn't kill her." The lone female agent looked longingly at Caleb, and I bit back a flash of jealousy. The link was a curse when it came to other women. They always saw too much.

I spent some time informing them of my weak plan. Meet this Sabbatini guy and try to figure out who's calling the shots and where I could find Anthony Lewis. Their job was to cover me and to make sure no one else is hurt or killed. The fact that they may know I'm coming might bring the crazies out in the open. The primary goal was to end this with zero collateral damage.

"Then we evacuate the hospital," one of the older agents offered, "at least move them away from whatever portion of the building this Sabbatini is in."

"Easy enough," another agent chimed in, "use the early explosion in Portland as the driver. You know, a nut on the loose scenario. It will get the staff moving quickly, without questions."