Epilogue 2 - Malkiel Cohen

I had to admit the concert was more entertaining than I expected. Who ever thought violins and a saxophone could produce such beautiful sounds. I wouldn't have come at all, but my wife was impressed that Kato Tetsuzan was in the trio. I thought it was another worthless attempt by the U.S. to do side negotiations with the Palestinians.

Kato seemed to be enjoying himself, almost having a contest with the other violinist. My wife kept leaning into me and smiling. The smile alone was worth the trip. If I remembered my briefing correctly, the other violinist was Caleb McGuire, and he had a strange history for one so young. His wife, Teegan McGuire, somehow inherited the entirety of Corbett Industries. My boss had warned me about being polite and making sure I didn't antagonize someone we might want to have business relations with.

I looked a few seats down and saw Mrs. McGuire with her child in her lap. They were both wearing equivalent smiles and watching Mr. McGuire on the stage. I had to admit, the baby was the most well behaved I had ever seen. She just smiled and waved her arms every time her father looked at her. My son used to do that when I came home from work. It was sad when he grew out of it.

"It's wonderful," my wife whispered in my ear. I turned back to stage as the older saxophonist let loose with a soft solo that was quickly picked up by the violins and expanded upon. It was so well timed, almost as if they were in each other's brains. Rather incredible.

The other side of Mrs. McGruire was Rashid Hadawi and his wife. My counterpart in peace talks. We were the lower level negotiators, not the decision makers. I had spent many hours arguing minutia with Rashid. Always a wasted effort, but what do you expect from a people who want everything given without any sacrifices of their own.

Secretary Goodfellow sat next to Mrs. McGruire, calmly watching the show. It still smelled like a tricky diplomatic effort, but if it made my wife happy, I could stand to be used for one evening.

Mossad had informed my department that both Teegan and Caleb were present in Korea when the reunification talks began. It was a shock to the world when North and South came to the table, and the border collapsed. It was Germany all over again. I hoped that Goodfellow didn't think that joining two countries with common customs and ancestry was the same as Israel and Palestine. Two languages, two cultures, and a mountain of religious issues. It won't happen in my lifetime. We only talk peace to avoid the opposite.

The concert ended to thunderous applause. Well, as much applause as twenty or so people could produce. It was invitation only, and I wonder how many of my betters had foregone the concert for political reasons. My wife was still smiling, so it was worth it to me.

"Would you like to meet them?" Mrs. McGuire asked. I was about to say no, knowing she had asked the same of Rashid.

"That would be lovely," my wife chimed in. Her smile convinced me not to argue. I think she had a secret crush on Kato Tetsuzan. A husband could put up with a lot if that smile follows him all the way home.

"Thank you, we'd like that," I said in my most diplomatic tone. Mrs. McGuire's baby smiled at me. She had to be the happiest baby in the world. I had no choice but to smile back. It seemed to please her, and she waved her arms at me.

"Where is Secretary Goodfellow?" I asked Mrs. McGuire when we entered the small conference room.

"She didn't want to make this a diplomatic thing," Mrs. McGuire replied. "I'm sure she'll stop by for goodbyes later." My whole body relaxed and I let my job drift from my mind. Without the secretary, there was nothing official. I looked around the room and spotted mostly Americans, non-diplomatic types. Probably Corbett employees. They were relaxed and seemed familiar with each other. Strange to have Rashid and me in such company.